Rear Coilover Mounts

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rear Coilover Mounts

Postby streetsy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:01 pm

A mount could be made with two captive bolts instead of one which would prevent turning. I have seen coilovers with spherical bearings rather than bushes, so, perhaps a two bolt rubber mounted top with spherical bearings on the suspension would be quite useful. I was thinking east -west alignment.
streetsy

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:22 pm

streetsy wrote:A mount could be made with two captive bolts instead of one which would prevent turning. I have seen coilovers with spherical bearings rather than bushes, so, perhaps a two bolt rubber mounted top with spherical bearings on the suspension would be quite useful. I was thinking east -west alignment.

Is that east-west alignment for the bolt through the top eye of the suspension unit?
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Yes I think you are right with the east-west alignment. The lower bolt/bush is also aligned east-west. But the upper mount is solid, so maybe it's not suspension play that causes a bending moment but just the suspension arm moving through its arc. The lower bolt/bush will allow this motion but the top mount won't allow this swing. I would go for a straight fit with 1 centre bolt and 2 rubber "hats". If torqued up properly I don't see this rotating. Any rotation will be dealt with in the shock absorber itself anyway since they are 2 separate pieces, hence the terrible shit of bolting up the similar upper mounting of the front shock absorbers.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:48 pm

http://www.superfastminis.com/REAR_FRAME.htm

Look at the brackets on these coil-overs, they bolt through the wheel arch, a spreader plate would be advisable on the fiberglass, but it would work on any Midas.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Alan D. wrote:http://www.superfastminis.com/REAR_FRAME.htm

Look at the brackets on these coil-overs, they bolt through the wheel arch, a spreader plate would be advisable on the fiberglass, but it would work on any Midas.
Alan

That looks awesome. These guys figured it already out. I like the light subframe as well. Too bad it's not a Metro one.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Not much travel in those dampers.

Stuart

Postby Jin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Must admit when I first saw the sketch I thought exactly the same as David, unless all 3 points of movement ( top eye bush, lower eye bush, and rubber top bush) are precisely inline there will be a tendency for the assembly to rock against the body unless the top mount was rigidly mounted as suggested, they will ofcourse never be perfectly inline because the suspension moves in an arc.
I've a similar headache trying to put coilovers on the cortez and its ground me to a halt
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:58 am

I have googled a number of trailing arm suspensions and I have seen coil overs at weird locations. But as long as the lower and upper mounts have enough degrees of freedom, it doesn't seem to be a problem. The damper just swivels with the suspension. I think it's a great idea replacing the Midas direct bolt through dampers with such a hinge. Also for the front shock absorber this will be a gem because removing and installing the damper will be so much easier. Fastening the upper mount of the front dampers must be the worse job on a Midas.
Hans Efde

Postby l_jonez » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Rubber bush mout the adaptor plate and replace the top mount with a rose joint.
l_jonez

Postby streetsy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm going to give it a try, I've been and bought a pair of coil-overs, and I have cut the first pieces to make the mounts. I think that a rubber mounted bracket with a diameter of 80mm will be possible to spread as much as possible. I'll photograph my progress and see how it goes.
streetsy

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Convertible