reverse lights.....

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

reverse lights.....

Postby billybob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:22 pm

So, latest issue or more probably one that existed ages ago that I didn't notice is that the reverse lights don't come on. The fuse is okay and all other lights work included brake lights (I think they use the same fuse).

Whereabouts is the switch located for these? My money will be on the switch for starters but it looks as if it will be underneath the car somewhere and I don't have the time to get underneath and dirty today.

One thing I have seen is that one of the bulbs is missing but it definitely won't be so simple as that...I will replace both anyway though of course.
billybob

Re: reverse lights.....

Postby billybob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:36 pm

to add to this though I have just read that it is not a requirement to have working reverse lights for an MOT (even if they are fitted) as they are not tested.
It would still be nice to have them working but now I am thinking that a switch may never have been fitted...........
billybob

Postby DavidL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:57 pm

The reversing light switch is on the side of the gearchange "box" which sits under the floor at the base of the gear lever - i.e., under the car.
It could fail in several ways:
the switch itself can fail
the wiring can become detached from the switch
the switch might be out of adjustment, it screws into the side of the unit - it's a simple plunger switch and has to be pressed in by the bottom of the gear lever. If it's not screwed into the unit far enough, it won't operate (I think there's a lock nut to hold it in position).

Hope some of this helps.
DavidL

Postby billybob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:25 pm

okay, thanks David. I will check this out when I have some more time. Do you happen to know if it is a legal requirement to have working reverse lights?

Cheers!
billybob

Postby DavidL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:08 pm

billybob wrote:okay, thanks David. I will check this out when I have some more time. Do you happen to know if it is a legal requirement to have working reverse lights?

Cheers!

I don't, but my van should be having its MoT retest tomorrow. I'll ask the examiner.
DavidL

Postby billybob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:10 pm

nice one, that's a great help thanks.
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:07 am

When I bought my Convertible in Hull this reverse switch wasn't working. The owner had wired the wiring from the reverse lights to a switch on the dashboard. I bought a new switch (when there were still Rover dealers) and installed it. It's a pig to get in, there is hardly space in the tunnel and the exhaust is in the way. I almost went to the trouble of dropping the shifter box (it's hanging on 2 bobbins) or at least to rotate it slightly to see the hole. Life will be easier if you can put the car on a bridge for this job.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:15 am

The reversing lights have never worked on mine, it has never been an issue for the MOT.
Rich

Postby DavidL » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:15 pm

DavidL wrote:
billybob wrote:okay, thanks David. I will check this out when I have some more time. Do you happen to know if it is a legal requirement to have working reverse lights?

Cheers!

I don't, but my van should be having its MoT retest tomorrow. I'll ask the examiner.

Things didn't go quite as planned today - didn't get my retest done.

Consequently, I completely forgot to ask the reversing light question, but it looks like Rich has answered it!
DavidL

Postby billybob » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:54 am

Hans, not really what I wanted to hear, Rich- exactly what I wanted to hear! No worries David. Hope you get the van sorted...
billybob

Return to Mk 3 Convertible