radiator switch bajonet lock

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

radiator switch bajonet lock

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello, I am busy with my Convertible (will post updates soon) and have a question about the thermostatic switch in the radiator. I bought a new radiator from Ebay. I received a full brass version instead of the regular plastic/aluminium one. It has a cam around the radiator switch hole in which a bajonet type lock fits (according Haynes it's a retainer plate) . When looking in the Haynes there is a sort of plastic propellor visible that goes over the switch. I can't recall this type of lock on my previous cars so may be obsolete. Has anyone this lock on the thermostatic switch or is the rubber O-seal clamping enough? I have never experienced the switch popping out, but you never know.
Hans Efde

Re: radiator switch bajonet lock

Postby streetsy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Both of my mk3's have a plastic retainer to hold the thermostatic switch.
streetsy

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I located one on Ebay and will install it before the car hits the road again.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am

I think you are referring to one of these ...

I'll see if I can get a photo of the one on my car sometime today, though the radiator in a Midas isn't the easiest of things to get access to for photographing, asI'm sure you are only too aware of. :|
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:35 am

Yes I contacted the seller of this thing for shipping costs. I hope I get one on time, also just ordered a new switch. Not much time left and still a lot to do. Replacing the radiator is also one of the pain in the bud jobs on a Midas.
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 3 Convertible