Power/electric window conversion

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Power/electric window conversion

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:54 pm

I found a broken bracket on the left door window mechanism. I have the old type GTM supplied aluminium frame. It has to come out for rewelding, but now the question is if this is the right time to install an electric window kit. Has anyone converted the conventional wind up mechanism for an electric kit? If yes what did you use? Is there a simple and smart solution possible that uses the existing frame with add ons? Or can this only be done by extensive modification?
Hans Efde

Re: Power/electric window conversion

Postby max midas » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 pm

I bought two window motors with associated wires etc from the scrappy years ago and adapted them to fit my midas.
They work ok, the drivers window rocks a bit as the glass width is insufficient, but they're ok.
Will take a picture next time the door card is off.
max midas

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:14 am

max midas wrote:I bought two window motors with associated wires etc from the scrappy years ago and adapted them to fit my midas.
They work ok, the drivers window rocks a bit as the glass width is insufficient, but they're ok.
Will take a picture next time the door card is off.

Thanks, no hurry. Also found on this forum pics from David who installed the new type window mechanism (that keeps the window stable with a double scissor action). Something I am looking into because the tilting of the window causes it to jam or run heavy. This has caused the mechanism to shear.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Hans
I purchased an MGF to use the VVC engine in my Lotus. I think it could donate lots of components to our Midi. I've saved the doors with the complete electric window winding mechanism with the thought of fitting mechanism into a Midas. The MGF door is 150mm wider than a Midas door, so it would shorten to fit inside a Midas door. The added bonus is if you fit the complete narrowed frame you would get the door mirror assemble and you could use the electric mirrors. You would also do away with the quarter light on the Midas door, giving you a more modern looking assembly and IVA compliant, maybe you could adapt the electric locking too. You get the added advantage of using the wiring loom which is already made up for you.
I've also saved the steering column with the electric power steering.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:54 am

Alan D. wrote:Hans
I purchased an MGF to use the VVC engine in my Lotus. I think it could donate lots of components to our Midi. I've saved the doors with the complete electric window winding mechanism with the thought of fitting mechanism into a Midas. The MGF door is 150mm wider than a Midas door, so it would shorten to fit inside a Midas door. The added bonus is if you fit the complete narrowed frame you would get the door mirror assemble and you could use the electric mirrors. You would also do away with the quarter light on the Midas door, giving you a more modern looking assembly and IVA compliant, maybe you could adapt the electric locking too. You get the added advantage of using the wiring loom which is already made up for you.
I've also saved the steering column with the electric power steering.
Alan

That's the same setup Alistair is selling now. David made a thread of it:
http://midasownersclub.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=334&hilit=electric+window

I have the idea for something simpler. Keep the U-channels and remove the rest in the middle. Then install a better system that fits in between. For example you see nowadays a sliding pillar system with a steel cable running round. Looks very simple.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi again Hans,
Thanks for that, I did not know Alistair had already done this Modification.
alan
Alan D.

Return to Mk 3 Convertible