swan song of my turbo engine

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

swan song of my turbo engine

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 am

Hans Efde

Re: swan song of my turbo engine

Postby DavidL » Thu May 05, 2011 10:50 am

Now I understand why you were reluctant to drive long distances! I like the sound, but I wouldn't want to listen to it for any length of time.

What really comes across is the big difference between gear ratios. I haven't driven anything with fewer than 5 gears since I sold my Bronze (1.7 decades). I presume that was a four speed gearbox?
DavidL

Re: swan song of my turbo engine

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 05, 2011 11:29 am

faceofdoh wrote:Now I understand why you were reluctant to drive long distances! I like the sound, but I wouldn't want to listen to it for any length of time.

What really comes across is the big difference between gear ratios. I haven't driven anything with fewer than 5 gears since I sold my Bronze (1.7 decades). I presume that was a four speed gearbox?

Yes, standard MG Metro box with the 3.15 diff. I think that's a perfect diff for the Midas, but you need enough power to pull between 3rd and 4th gear and to get going from 1st gear. Esspecially on B-roads a standard MG Metro engine will struggle with a 3.15 diff and you just keep changing between 3 and 4. But for highway cruising the engine does between 3000 and 3500 rpm and it feels quite happy in that range.
When I bought it, it had a 3.44 diff. Then on long runs you have to listen to more than 4000rpm. That's painful!
For the record that's with 175/50 R13 wheels/tyres.
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 3 Convertible