Deronda on track

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Deronda on track

Postby ACourtney » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm

As most of you will know by now, particularly if you came to Stoneleigh this year, the Midas now has a stablemate in the Deronda track car.
Some MOC members, who attended the barbeque in July, even got a short (very short) ride in the demonstrator.

We have been busy this year moving to the new workshop and promoting the Deronda, but please be assured Midas will not be forgotten. The reason that I started Alternative Cars Ltd in the first place was to rescue Midas from oblivion, so I'm not going to turn my back on it now.

Anyway, apart from moving workshop, attending shows and we have also run the Deronda on track a bit.
I managed to borrow a Go-Pro Hero HD camcorder when we visited Bruntingthorpe and this is the video of a run where I gave my eldest son a ride.

I had promised James a ride around Bruntingthorpe after he had helped out at the "On Your Marks" charity day.
He had waited patiently whilst we gave various prospects test drives and was rewarded by a few good laps at the end of the day. For those that need to know the numbers, we were reaching somewhere between 135 and 140 MPH on the long straight - we pass a Ford Focus a couple of times that looks like it was standing still, but was probably doing around 30.
ACourtney

Re: Deronda on track

Postby mikeeskriett » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi,

Looks good and not to mention quite nippy!

Bruntingthorpe is a magical place lots of classic british metal around the place, I have a chunk of the VC10 you lapped a couple of times at the back of the house. It'd be interesting to see a drag race between the Deronda and one of the Frightnings!

Cheers,

mike
mikeeskriett

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:06 am

It seems Gopro improved their camera. I can hear the engine and not too much vibration. I have an older version, but I have many problems with it. It eats batteries and the sound is pretty bad. I have already made a hole in the plastic casing where the micophone is, but it still picks up a lot of vibration noise from the casing.
Hans Efde

Postby ACourtney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I was impressed with the GoPro, but then my last efforts with in car filming were some twenty odd years ago strapping a S-VHS camcorder to the rollcage of my MG Midget with bungees!
The suction mounts that came with the GoPro worked well. I was a bit nervous about them not holding on, so I added a couple of cable-ties - the tip of one can be seen flapping in front of the camera.
It would be nice to wire in a remote micro-phone located nearer to the exhausts, so that the engine noise dominated rather than wind noise, but it is not too bad.
I'll have to borrow it again when I next take the Excelsior to Castle Combe.
ACourtney

Return to Miscellaneous