Midas Owners Club - The next 30 years

This section is to provide Midas Owners Club News.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Midas Owners Club - The next 30 years

Postby Jin » Fri May 29, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Alistair, is there no way to "pin" topics once posted to keep it up top?
I can do on proboards forum.
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby ACourtney » Fri May 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Jin wrote:Hi Alistair, is there no way to "pin" topics once posted to keep it up top?
I can do on proboards forum.

Yes, we can pin topics, or at least the moderators are able to (perhaps anyone can, but I don't know how). However, that will lock the topics in the order that they were submitted. For an events calendar we would want them to appear in chronological order. Unless you can pin a topic and then rearrange the order in which they appear?

Perhaps the site moderators might have some useful suggestions.
ACourtney

Postby kelvink » Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 pm

Well this Topic was posted almost a year ago now and I think it could do with a bit of a nudge to get it back into the minds of members of the club.

At the 2015 AGM at Stoneleigh the committee said that they were looking to stand down as they were getting on a bit and felt they had done their bit and it was suggested that people might like to shadow the committee members before a change of 'staff' so to speak. Sadly David passed away shortly after which sort of highlights what was said and has been said again at this recent 2016 AGM.

Personally I think that things might work a bit better by rearranging the chairs a bit and working with people on a more regional basis. By this I mean having people co-ordinate things local to themselves. Some folk are happy to travel reasonable distances and others less so but that doesn't mean that you aren't or can't be a valuable asset to the club. The internet helps people from all over the world exchange ideas and opinions and is a massive help in communications, though there's really nothing quite as good as meeting people face to face all the same.

At the 2015 AGM it was said by several members present that things needn't be fixed in the way things had been done in the past and this was again touched on at the 2016 AGM. So given little has been accomplished in finding direct replacements for the posts/roles in the club I think we ought to look at other ways we can each help out.

I'm based in Dorset but folk will know I do take my Midas as far afield as Donnington, Shepton Mallet, Castle Combe, Beaulie, Stoneleigh and frequently Enstone too. Anyone passing through Dorset is very welcome to drop by and say hi and have a laugh at my collection of Midas bits including the road legal one. So I'm quite happy to act as a regional coordinator for the "Wessex" region as I've mentioned before. There's a few other people who are pretty active in the club and have waved the flag such as Alan Donowho and Richard Streets for example plus of course the committee members who've done a Stirling job to date not least of all David when he was with us.

Time's moved on but it doesn't seem that there's been much of a take up on the slack that's appearing inevitably with the committee being now (without wishing to at all be derogatory in any form) a bit too far past their sell by date. They've been real heroes in what they've each done over the years but it's time that some of us took up some roles and helped keep this club for our cars going.

Just some thoughts from yours truly here and hopefully there's a few people who would be happy to help the club in their own ways. I know that there's a fair few club members who enjoy meeting up and or chatting with other enthusiast both face to face and online. Why not air your thoughts and maybe chip in a few things you are happy to help out with. Me I'm happy to chat or meet anyone especially if they are within 50 odd miles, it gives a good excuse for us to get out in a Midas or two! :-)
kelvink

Postby ACourtney » Thu May 26, 2016 10:09 am

For those who were not present at the AGM, both Tony Moss and Michael Horsley announced that they would stand down from their posts at next year's AGM. They both have certainly "done their bit" and can take credit, along with the late David Johnson, for turning around the fortunes of the club. However, as they are currently the club's only officers we could be facing a crisis if nobody is prepared to step forward and help with running the club.

There is no hard and fast rule that says we have to have a fixed committee with rigidly defined roles. True, if you look at the club's constitution on the website - http://midasownersclub.co.uk/constitution/ - you will see a list of up to six club officers, but below that you will see the rules for Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings which have the power to re-write the constitution and reshape the club as the members see fit. The committee positions listed are ones that have arisen historically, going forward we need to ask what positions are really necessary.

Looking back at the club's history (see my articles in the last two issues of the joint magazine) the club was started by Colin Spencer and he ran it single handed for the first couple of years. I'm not suggesting that just one person should run the club now. Quite the reverse, I think the duties need to be shared more widely. As Kelvin suggests we could have regional representatives who share out most of the club secretary's duties. Richard Streets has effectively started to do that for the Midlands by organizing some club events in that area. Like most of us, Richard has a very busy life and couldn't take on a bigger role in the club, but if he is able to organize club stands at two or three events each year then I for one think that is a very valuable contribution. It sounds like Kelvin is volunteering to do the same for the Wessex region and perhaps he could take on the organization of one of the events in the South West scheduled for later this year.

So yes, most of the Club Secretary duties could be shared, but the club still needs someone to co-ordinate all the regional reps and it also needs a Treasurer. As Michael said at the AGM, the duties of the Treasurer are not onerous. He just keeps an eye on the clubs finances and writes out a few cheques each year. Michael has also taken on some of the duties of the membership secretary, which is logical since all the subscriptions have to be paid into the club's account. That is one aspect that could be separated again if someone were to take on the membership secretary role, but so far no one has stepped forward.

And I think that is the main issue here. If we can't find some way of replacing Tony and Michael, then the club will simply cease to exist.
ACourtney

Postby coh1952 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:20 pm

I will be pleased to take over the office of treasurer (as well as the ex-officio role of Registrar).
Let's have some dialogue about the direction the Club should be taking.
And please let's have some younger members to help out - the more helpers, the better spread the workload will be.
I would recommend "meetings" by Skype, as an example of how we can move forward and avoid excessive queuing on the A34.
ColinOH
coh1952

Previous

Return to Midas Owners Club News