show season 2013

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: show season 2013

Postby lankyjames » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

David L wrote:
lankyjames wrote:Looks good, but after searching for Moffat - It's bloody miles away!

Wimp. :D

I'm hoping to get my Midas to Stoneleigh this year (about 380 miles), with a side trip to my sister's in Arnold (must be near you!). If I do it'll be the first time in about 20 years. However, I did think I'd make it to Stoneleigh 2012 as well...

I think it's more my ear drums that are wincing at the thought of it, I really need to get my new exhaust made. While a dual exit thing with a straight pipe is a lot of fun at lower speeds, its much too noisy at the top. Going for a double box single exit system ASAP.

Arnold is just the other side of the river - and only about a mile from where I grew up!

As for getting the cars out of the garage, mine is a daily driver - so long as it starts. I'm still having to put the battery on charge every night to make sure it goes the next day, it's on the list to replace - whether I do that before christmas or not is another thing.

Also I have had my car to a meet just yesterday, it was a photography group that mainly do JDM marques but they wanted a bit of variety. Even got pride of place inside the workshop on a ramp - after a kind fellow helped me give the car a quick wash as it had only just been dragged out of storage and had cobwebs on it!

This is the only photo I have from the day, the professional ones yet to be published;

Funny thing about this- got the car just on the ramps (narrow wheels remember) and the guy was a little concerned one side was more on than the other. He looked a little confused when i said to help me pick it up and shove it across. Literally picked it up with the rear arches and put it too far the other way!
lankyjames

show season 2013

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 am

I'm gonna get to every possible show I can next year after the let down of my gearbox going the day before stoneleigh this year it's given me a boost to get to all of them next year just need to spray rear bumper and number plate light
b1zbaz

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 am

b1zbaz wrote:I'm gonna get to every possible show I can next year after the let down of my gearbox going the day before stoneleigh this year it's given me a boost to get to all of them next year just need to spray rear bumper and number plate light

Your car does not need to be perfect, just show up. The more people that turn up, the better the party. The club is anxious to get events organised, so I think we need to give them support, after all we are the club, so we need to contribute, it's no good just moaning, we need to make it happen! After all the club once had about 800 members and regional meetings, now the membership is less than a hundred. Working on a car in a lonely garage is not what it's about in my opinion, meeting other people gives you motivation. That's the end of my rant, look forward to meeting you all.

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

Did we really get to the heady heights of 800 members Alan? I remember the high three hundreds, but happy to be corrected.
Stuart

Postby davidj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi All

Alan is quite correct in that about 950 people have been in the Club over its existance. However not all at once, the annual membership has been bumping along at about 100 members for the last ten years or so. In 2012 we have seen an increase to about 110 thanks to the influx of young members which is most encouraging.

He is also correct in that the present Committee want to see an increase in Club sponsored events and meetings for 2013. So please come to the meeting or get your ideas to one of the Committee members ready for this Friday's meeting. If you like I can take your ideas along so email me on johnsonjean@blueyonder.co.uk

Dont forget that your membership subscriptions for 2013 will come due next month. All you owners who not yet members of the MIDAS OWNERS CLUB come and join up to allow us to expand our programme and give you the events that you want. Contact Michael Horsley or myself to find out the details.
davidj

show season 2013

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 pm

The way for younger members to be interested in our cars is push some good times at Santa pod on max power events and so on and advertise the cheap insurance a few fellow builders from other firms I mix with have young apprentices that are really interested in my car as its so cheap to run my Midas insurance is less than half the price of my fiesta zetec which was not much quicker than the Midas if not the same speeds just nowhere near as fun or attractive need to sort my heater out though its really annoying me now
b1zbaz

show season 2013

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Somebody needs to fit a bike engine in 1 that will get ppl interested in them
b1zbaz

Postby All That Glisters » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 pm

A BSA Bantam engine would drop in there no problem.
All That Glisters

Postby lankyjames » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:45 pm

I still think that choices are - as per off-the-shelf mini kits, looking at R1/ Honda(vtec) / Vauxhall (1.4 probably the biggest), a shaft bike engine (to RWD?), or a rotary would be a lot of fun!

Guy near to me makes Vaux / Honda frames, I am very keen for a small (1.5) vtec engine, D series I believe
lankyjames

show season 2013

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 pm

I would love to make mine bike engine beast mode traffic eater but money does not permit at the moment I'm thinking more about a frame in the back built around an original bike frame and then knock something up to the rear wheels and leave the a series in for weight over the front I don't know how hard it would be but I'm looking into it might buy a mark 2 for that though
b1zbaz

PreviousNext

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events