DONINGTON PARK

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: DONINGTON PARK

Postby kelvink » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm

You don't have to do the whole trip we can meet up and have you join anywhere along the way. So that's a fourth for the last half mile then ;-)
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:02 am

It seems that Malvern has been cancelled so Donington next weekend (30 31 Aug) is the last Kit Car Show of the year. Of course there's still the Mini World Action Day at Castle Combe end of September
kelvink

Postby streetsy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:12 pm

National mini day is on 14th September, that's a good show to go to.
streetsy

Postby kelvink » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:30 am

In case it's slipped past anyone's notice
there's a Kit Car Show at Donnington Park Circuit this weekend

I'm going to go up on Saturday (dog sitter booked to entertain Evie instead of having to entertain her again by showing her cars do run round in circles too)

So last chance to book you're ticket on the Midas Convoy.......

Early morning start in Dorset probably heading towards Wimborne, Southampton, Winchester (could go Salisbury direction but the steam fair is on and I've already done the Steaming Midas), Newbury, Abingdon, Oxford, Bambury, Warwick, Coventry, Donington. Return trip late afternoon.
kelvink

Postby ACourtney » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:42 am

It looks like I'll be going on Saturday so we should meet up as you pass Oxford.
Perhaps we should meet at the Pear Tree services?
ACourtney

Postby kelvink » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Pear Tree Services are good.

Anyone else round Oxford area welcome to rendezvous at Pear Tree
kelvink

Postby streetsy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Four Midas Cars at Donington Today (Saturday)
Attachments
IMAG0419.jpg
IMAG0419.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6509 times
streetsy

Postby Stuart » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:51 pm

It looks very quiet there, was it quiet?
Stuart

Postby streetsy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Quite a few cars there, Midas stand was at the edge so not looking out over other cars
streetsy

Postby kelvink » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:41 pm

It's just gone 11pm and I've just got back home, I set off at 6.30am this morning and I'd happily trun right round right this minute and go and do it all again....

OK perhaps my car is burning more than just oil and filling the cockpit with happy drugs or something after all the guy I bought the car off did have a lot of dreadlocks but I can honestly say I've not had a day with so much enjoyment of cars since I can not remember and I can tell you I've had some serious fun in cars

The show was great. OK it was no where near the numbers of people there as there used to be back in the good old days and there were nothing like the numbers of manufacturers and trade stands as there was in those days either I don't think there was any autotests going on either but it really was thoroughly enjoyable. For me this is a superb venue as not only do you have a hall for the display stands and plenty of parking with huge areas for owners to bring and display their cars (FOR FREE ENTRY TOO!) but you've also got a shed load of racing going on where you can wander round the infield and spectate with views of as much as 75% of the circuit it's brilliant. There's also an excellent museum you can go and have a look at F1 cars too if you want but I've not had the time yet to do that. What maybe was lacking in quantity was more than made up for with the quality in my opinion. Don't go expecting the X Factor just go for some time out to enjoy a bit of automotive leisure and you shouldn't really go wrong.

The best thing though is driving your Midas to and then from the show. Now mine is well and truly past it's best and it's been neglected for at least a decade or more I'd say from the sorry state it is in and I am certain anyone who has seen it will not hesitate to confirm this. But it's road legal and it runs. And, well I really and truly love driving this little car it's just mile after mile of smile smile smile. I went via all the motorways and dual carriage ways and thought I'd be bored silly as I usually am, especially as I don't have an onboard computer to play get the best mpg you can game. (In fact other than a rev counter nothing really works on the dash. OK needles point various directions but the bear absolutely no relation to speed, fuel, temperature and probably neither revs, as for miles on the odometer and trip meter well unless Donington is in Scotland now they tell pork pies too!) But I got out of the car on each of the many occassions today, thanks to oil and petrol consumption making sure I stopped at every other service station to top up and be sure not to run dry, with a grin from ear to ear.

On the return journey I gave the car some welly on the 10 miles of country lanes once I got off the proper main roads and seriously started looking for roundabouts so I could go back and do things over again. Being closing time on Saturday evening of course there were a fair few boy racers about about but I know they were well and truly blown away by this litle Midas and how it could go round the curvy bits without so much as a sniff of the break pedal. Left them dumfounded and well and truly behind in the dust,,,, or perhaps it was the smog out of my exhaust any ways' I for one had a very very enjoyable day going to Donington today and I'd thoroughly recommend you get in your Midas tomorrow and get on over to the show in it.

Right I'm off to my bed!
kelvink

PreviousNext

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events