MiniWorld Action Day, Castle Combe, Saturday 27th September

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: MiniWorld Action Day, Castle Combe, Saturday 27th Septem

Postby kelvink » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Ticket and passes arrived yesterday. Done a brief check and test drive today. Topped up the smoke generator (engine with oil) Need to get some cash for parts as this is an ideal venue for spares, lots of trade stalls.

Looking forward to seeing how the car goes out on the track, though I'm not expecting to pass many cars as the gear change is mega sloppy and vague and the pedals are in desperate need of modification to sort out heel and toeing. Will be interested to find out how the brakes perform as I'm non too smitten with them either but it should be fun :D

Who else is on the 12:15 run?
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Great fun was had out on the track yesterday. I do need to attend to all the rattles and bangs though for sure. I was surprised how little oil I burnt, it seems the additives are doing a good job. I need to add new tyres to the list of items to get now having torn a fair amount of rubber off them but they are now more pliable for well over 10 years old.

A few photos from the day I managed to quickly take.....

The purple one here on the left was literally spitting fire on the track!

Meet the ancestors

One day Richard I might have mine nice and shiny too

OK they had to find the shiniest Mini and go and park it alongside my Midas didn't they!

Star Car once again Meredith

Got to love this works van!

Especially the supercharger!
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for uploading the pics, looked like a splendid day.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Hans Efde wrote:Thanks for uploading the pics, looked like a splendid day.

It's certainly one of the best events to go along to with a Midas Hans. Plenty of track action to be had for everyone and lots of trade stands for parts. Plus of course a goodly turn out of Midas Owneres Club members to catch up with too.

I've been busy today fitting some of the parts i bought. Shame it's not a two day event really as I could do with some other bits now.

There's one more must go to event in my diary and that's the Total Kit Car Live event at Brands Hatch in November :D
kelvink

Postby ACourtney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Yes, another great MiniWorld Action Day at Castle Combe. It seemed to go in a blur.
I seemed to be so busy that I didn't get around to taking any photos until late in the day, after Richard and Neil had already gone home:

MOC Area.jpg
MOC line up
MOC Area.jpg (204.99 KiB) Viewed 5687 times

Kelvin's Midas wasn't the smokiest car there by any means, in fact it seems to be smoking less the more he uses it.
As Kelvin said, Meredith's Mk2 was the best presented Midas there and the only Mini based one there too!,
Alan's convertible also looks pretty smart and I suspect Richard will be catching them up by next year.

It was a great day (as usual) and it was good to see ten cars representing the club.
Three club members were there in non-Midas transport yesterday. So next year we should be able to make it at least a dozen, if not a baker's dozen.

It just remains to thank Tony for organizing the free entry tickets and booking our track sessions. I'm looking forward to next year already.
ACourtney

Postby benofbrum » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Kelvin,Maybe your heavy oil consumption is due to the same cause as my Suzuki Burgman. It used a lot of oil in the French Alps where we were coming down from summits for miles on a closed throttle. Consumption was much less on the motorway parts of the holiday. I had a compression test done when I got back and it was found to be right at the top of the range. Leads me to think that the inlet valve guide seal is worn and high vacuum on a closed throtle is sucking oil past the valve stem.
benofbrum

Previous

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events