Stanford Hall 2016

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Stanford Hall 2016

Postby kelvink » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:46 am

Not a bad little turn out, and great to see some 'new' cars getting back on the road with club outings. Hope to see some more photos too. Had my brakes not given up the week before I may well have gone up to the show myself too. Aiming to make Castle Combe this Saturday to make up for it.
kelvink

Postby All That Glisters » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Wow Q815PFE, now red. The last time I saw it I was waving it goodbye as Charlie drove it away on his trailer. It looked like this:

Midas.jpg
Midas.jpg (460.04 KiB) Viewed 7360 times

Did anyone find out who the current owner is?

Regards Mark
All That Glisters

Postby ACourtney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:19 am

I guess Charlie must have re-shelled it, as under the rapidly peeling paint the gelcoat is shiny cream (yes shiny, which is largely why the paint is peeling!). Whilst the car has quite a few gel cracks from various minor impacts, it has certainly not been repaired to the extent required by the accident damage shown in your photo.

I am the current custodian of Q815PFE and plan to do a rolling restoration on it (already replaced a worn steering rack, ball joint and front brakes). At the moment it doesn't have any front dampers, relying upon the damping within the hydragas units. Whilst it has a good ride, the handling is, well I'll just say that it is not to my taste. I will be taking my Excelsior to Castle Combe next weekend.

At some point it will need to be resprayed and this time I will take it back to the gelcoat and do the job properly. I guess that I could choose any colour, but I think that a slightly more vibrant red would suit the car well.
ACourtney

Postby ACourtney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:45 am

alberto midas wrote:Alistair,
It is too far for me to go down and come back in one day from the wilds of Northumberland!!
I hope you have a nice day for the show.
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

When I made the comment I was thinking about the guy from Suffolk who came to Stoneleigh and my Open day in another Decathlon.
It is quite amazing that of the five Decathlons that the club knows about (were more than five made?), four are currently on the road.

ImageDSCF6312 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr
Roy and Damien are certainly enjoying theirs.

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Postby Inim666 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for putting the photos up guys it's possibly the first time ever consecutively numbered cars have been together
Inim666

Postby All That Glisters » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 pm

ACourtney wrote:I guess Charlie must have re-shelled it, as under the rapidly peeling paint the gelcoat is shiny cream (yes shiny, which is largely why the paint is peeling!). Whilst the car has quite a few gel cracks from various minor impacts, it has certainly not been repaired to the extent required by the accident damage shown in your photo.

I am the current custodian of Q815PFE and plan to do a rolling restoration on it (already replaced a worn steering rack, ball joint and front brakes). At the moment it doesn't have any front dampers, relying upon the damping within the hydragas units. Whilst it has a good ride, the handling is, well I'll just say that it is not to my taste. I will be taking my Excelsior to Castle Combe next weekend.

At some point it will need to be resprayed and this time I will take it back to the gelcoat and do the job properly. I guess that I could choose any colour, but I think that a slightly more vibrant red would suit the car well.

I suppose that he could have re shelled it but I sold him the busted shell with no other bits and he came all the way from down south to collect it and the registration is not particularly valuable so where does that leave us? Also I could have sworn that at some point in time after selling it I heard that the old shell had been repaired, however my memory can't be trusted these.....(bugger, I've lost my train of thought).

Anyway British Racing Green was its original colour, some people say that green cars are unlucky but I never had a problem with the only green car I've ever owned, er, thinking about it I did have a little incident in it. That photo would have looked great with four BRG cars in line.

So, as I removed all the mechanicals and Charlie (or someone else) rebodied the car I reckon that it has earned the title of "Trigger's broom".
All That Glisters

Postby moss » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:23 pm

roy could you send the picture to my e mail so it can go into the report innroom@tmoss24.freeserve.co.uk
thanks tony moss hon sec midas owners club
moss

Previous

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events