NEC Classic Motor Show 10-12 November

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

NEC Classic Motor Show 10-12 November

Postby ACourtney » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:32 pm

As many of you will be aware, the Midas Owners Club has secured a stand at the "2017 Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show, with Discovery"

Tony has been informed that club members can get a discount on tickets bought online by using the special codes given in the flier below - that is CSCMS17 for single tickets and CFCMS17 for family tickets.

Imagej374360_cms04_cub-adverts_all_a5_colour_landscape_2017_0 by AC, on Flickr

We would still welcome helpers on Friday (and possibly Saturday), who will get free entry with an exhibitor pass. The more the merrier could not be more true, for the more volunteers we have, the more time they will all get to look around the show.
ACourtney

Re: NEC Classic Motor Show 10-12 November

Postby alan george » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 pm

hi
I am on the stand on Friday and I have a couple of queries:

(1) start time for Friday is 10:00 - is this the time I should aim for to be at the stand?

(2) my wife will be going so I bought a ticket for her. I am sure that I requested a ticket for the Friday, however the ticket mentions the Saturday club admission? So far I have not found the after sales easy to contact or deal with.

ta

alan
alan george

Postby ACourtney » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi Alan,

I believe that you will be getting an exhibitor pass from Tony, in which case you can get in anytime from 8.00am onwards. However, if you bought your wife a standard ticket then she won't be able to get in until the doors open to the public. It may be worth talking to Tony as he may still have a spare pass for Friday, which your wife could use.

If you get the chance to look around the show before it opens. A few years back when I was exhibiting at the Autosport show I took my son in before the doors had opened and before they had put any cordons around the F1 cars. I was able to take photos of him right next to the cars with nobody else around. It made his day.

Alistair
ACourtney

Postby alan george » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi Alistair
ta for reply

had reply from organisers that ticket is indeed for the Saturday. I have asked if it can be changed or used for the Friday. I am not holding my breath. Curse the internet and popup adverts. I will wait for a reply before I sort things.

alan
alan george

Postby moss » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 pm

hi all just to let you know the show at the nec is going great
full report at the end of the show
go on to the Facebook site Midas cars for pictures posted

tony moss
hon sec
moss

Postby benofbrum » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 pm

To add to Tony's comment, Sunday was just as good as Friday and Saturday in terms of interest, from a variety of angles. Some visitors had one awaiting refurbishment, many remembered Midas from the early days and that they were one of the quality kit cars. Several surprised by, and interested in the fact that, Mk3's and 4's can still be bought for new builds ( one chap has a new build Mk4 as his intended retirement project in 18 months time). Chris could have sold his Gold coupe at least twice (once to a Dutch customer) and I have two buyers waiting for Midas number 1.
As Brexit approaches, interest from Europe is likely to increase since, at the moment is is possible to import and register a kit car in EU countries if it has already been registered in Britain. Post Brexit our Dutch potential buyer is of the opinion that this door to kit car ownership will close to them.
Finally, thanks must go to all those involved over the 3 days in significantly raising the profile of Midas at the event but particularly to Tony for the considerable amount of work which he has had to put in to make our participation possible and his organisation of Val and Marie in providing the sustenance to keep us going.
Also a special mention to Mr & Mrs Welsh Midas who are, as I write this at 10pm on Sunday evening, still less than half way home.
benofbrum

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 pm

My brother stil has a Dutch registered mk3 coupe for sale. We got the engine running and did the brakes, but the car still needs a lot of tlc outside and inside. I'll see if he can make pics and think of a price since he hasn't been doing anything with this car for years.
Hans Efde

Postby ACourtney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm

I would like to take this chance to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who brought their cars along and helped out on the stand during the show.

We had a tremendous response during the show, with a lot of interest shown in the cars and several new club members were recruited.

Neil Franklin brought both his Mk1 and Excelsior, Meredith Phillips brought his Mk2 from the far West of Wales, Chris Nicholls brought his Mk3 Gold Coupe and Stephen Kennedy brought his Gold Convertible. They all had the fun of setting up on Thursday under the NEC's rigid regime.

ImageSetup1 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr ImageSetup2 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

Neil, Meredith and Janet Phillips were the backbone of the stand, attending all three days. They were helped out on Friday by Val Duffin, who also brought along the vital food supplies for Friday; John Orson, who created our paper Midas models and the Midas Family Tree; Alan George and his wife; and Stan, who no longer has a Midas, but volunteered to help out anyway.

ImageFriday1 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr ImagePaper Midas by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

On Saturday and Sunday I turned up with Tony Moss and my son James also helped out on Saturday. We were joined by Alan Donowho and Desmond Gorman, with his wife Susan, for both days.
Chris Nicholls joined us on Sunday morning and was kept busy with the interest in his Black Coupe. A bountiful supply of food was provided by Tony's friend Marie, so that the workers were kept well fed and watered.
As usual it was great fun being on the stand and I think that everyone who visited found us welcoming and helpful. Several Midas owners looked in over the weekend and gave us their best wishes, which was greatly appreciated.

ImageSunday1 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr ImageSunday2 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

And finally, we should all also give a special thanks to Tony, who thanks to his persistence, managed to get us the stand and then dealt with the organisers in the lead up to the show. He also ran around ordering the club sweatshirts for the helpers - he has some spares so they are available to purchase - and collecting the display boards from the printers, not to mention putting in two days at the show promoting the club and the Midas marque.

ImageSaturday1 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr
ACourtney

Postby benofbrum » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm

We were interviewed on Friday by someone from Classic Car Weekly. The piece should be in the edition which is on sale tomorrow, Wednesday 15th. It is a special car show edition
benofbrum

Postby ACourtney » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am

I was keeping quiet on that as the journalist had said he was going to email his draft to me and I had heard nothing.

However, I walked down to my local newsagents this morning and picked up a copy and here is the report:

ImageClassic Car Weekly report by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

There are a couple of small factual errors in there, but otherwise it is nice to see our efforts recognised
ACourtney

Next

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events