National Metro and Mini Show, June 3rd, Gaydon

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

National Metro and Mini Show, June 3rd, Gaydon

Postby ACourtney » Sun May 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Probably the only show that celebrates the Metro as well as the Mini.

ImageMOC Stand Gaydon by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

Tony has booked us a pitch and still has some spare passes, free to members. The passes include free entry to the museum and the collections, so if you haven't been to the British Motor Museum before then grab the chance this year by contacting Tony at events@midasownersclub.co.uk
ACourtney

Re: National Metro and Mini Show, June 3rd, Gaydon

Postby moss » Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 am

hi all i have spare tickets for the mini/metro show at gaydon on 3rd june please contact me tony moss 07850917392
moss

Postby ACourtney » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:16 pm

I have just returned from the Metro and Mini Show at Gaydon today after a really great day out. We ended up with four Midases plus another four Midas owners (two in Minis!) at the show. We've never achieved large numbers at this show, I think the most I've seen is six cars a few years back, which is a shame as it really is worth a visit. The weather was perhaps too good, but the museum and car collections buildings were good places to escape from the sun. There are two collections: The Jaguar Heritage collection and the British Motor Industry Trust. The first has everything from a Swallow Austin Seven to a Jaguar R5 F1 car, with rare prototypes such as the XK180 , F-type concept car and XF coupe. The second has all sorts of prototypes and concept cars and several 'last of the line' BL cars covered in the workers autographs. The contents of the workshop is also always changing, but today we could spot a Broadspeed XJ6 coupe race car, a C-type, and an XK8 painted in the Union Flag (Austin Powers style).

ImageClub corner by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

The show is dedicated to Metros and Minis and on the evidence of today I think that the website http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk is way off when it tells you that there are just 16 Rover Metro MG (as their search engine would have it) left on the road. Either that or MG Metros drivers are a bunch of road tax dodgers! There were easily more than 30 MG Metros there today, not to mention Metro Ls, Vans, MG Turbos, Rover Metros and Rover 100s.

ImageMetro stand 1 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr ImageMetro stand 2 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

For the first time the club was asked to come into the display arena to be interviewed by the MC. This involved us driving in and parking up in a line with the cars in order of age, then doing our best to answer questions about our cars.

ImageIn the ring by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

From this we learned that Brian chose a Midas because it doesn't rust and Richard also went for a Midas to avoid rust. For Tony, our esteemed club secretary, it was power, lots of power he explained to the interviewer how he went for the 16V Metro GTi engine because he wanted power.

ImageI just wanted more power by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

The interviewer had been primed that I was 'Mr Midas' so I was grilled for a bit longer than the others, but I think I managed to get across a little bit about the history of our cars and the good work that the club has been doing in raising the profile of the marque.

ImageInterviewed by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

After that we decided to treat ourselves to ice creams and to cool off in the museum again.

Next weekend is the Mini Cooper Register event at Beaulieu and then its down to Shepton Mallet the following weekend for the Bristol Classic.
ACourtney

Postby l_jonez » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Was great to finally meet some members, hopefully my Midas will make it next year
l_jonez

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events