Alternative Cars Open Day - July 15 2018

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Alternative Cars Open Day - July 15 2018

Postby ACourtney » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes, the next event in the club's calendar is my open day at my workshop at Enstone Airfield. It is just a month away, so I'm going to have to get my finger out and tidy the place up!

ImageOpen day 2017 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

As usual the Midas Owners Club will be supplying a barbeque for lunch and we will have an informal group discussion and photo session afterwards. This is the only event each year that is solely dedicated to Midas Cars, where owners can look at each others cars and discuss them without the distractions of car shows.

The address is Unit 4F, Enstone Airfield Business Park, Enstone, Oxon OX7 4NP.

I will post up suggested routes closer to the date, so that I can take into account any road works etc that pop up. However, I can already suggest avoiding Great Tew to the North of the airfield as they are holding the Cornbury Park Festival there that weekend.
ACourtney

Re: Alternative Cars Open Day - July 15 2018

Postby ACourtney » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 pm

For those who haven't been to my workshop before here are some directions:

Enstone Airfield is situated to the South East of Chipping Norton with good access to all the main roads in the area - Here are some suggested routes:

If you are approaching from the North then you will probably be coming down the M40. You have the choice of turning off at Junction 11 or 10.
Junction 11 is for Banbury and normally I suggest that you take A361, signposted for Chipping Norton. However, this year the Great Tew estate has decided to hold a music festival (Cornbury Festival) this weekend, which is likely to cause traffic issues. Instead this year I would suggest taking the A4260, sign posted for Oxford. This takes you through Bodicote, Adderbury and Deddington and about 8 miles after leaving Banbury you turn right onto the B4030 - at the lights just past the Jet filling station. This takes you through Middle Barton, past the Renault F1 team HQ (signposted as Whiteways Technical Centre), and as you pass through Gagingwell you will see the airfield to your right. Enter the gates about a mile further on. Alternatively, you could stay on the M40 until junction 10 and folloe the next set of directions-

If you are coming from the North East or East then you are likely to take the A43 to Junction 10 of the M40. Go straight over onto the B430, through Ardley and after about a mile take the right turn signposted to Upper Heyford. This takes you past the old USAF airfield into Upper Heyford village where you turn left. Follow the road onto the B4030, cross the A4260 at Hopcroft's Holt, and stay on the B4030 through Middle Barton, past the Renault F1 team HQ, and as you pass through Gagingwell you will see the airfield to your right. Enter the gates about a mile further on.

If you are coming from the South East then you can stay on the M40 to Junction 10 as above, or leave at Junction 8 and follow the A40 to Oxford. Stay on the A40 around the north of Oxford until you get to the A44 roundabout. Take the A44 north, signposted for Woodstock, continue through Woodstock and northwards until you get to Enstone. As you enter Enstone, there is a Texaco station on the left and then a right turn, signposted Airfield Industrial Complex. Take this right turn and then turn right again when you reach the B4030. The gate to the estate is about a mile down the B4030 on the left.

If you are coming from the South, you will most likely come up the A34, past Oxford. Turn off the A34 at the A44 junction, signposted Woodstock and follow the A44 as above.

If you are coming from the South West or West you have a few choices: Get on to the A34 from the M4 or A420 and follow the route mentioned above.
Take the A40 and either head for Stow on the Wold or Burford. The first route takes you along the Fosse way to Stow, where you take a right turn onto the A436 which takes you to the A44. Turn right for Chipping Norton and follow the A44 until you get to Enstone. As you enter Enstone there is a turning onto the B4030 on the left. Take this and follow the B4030 to the estate.
The second route takes you through Burford and onto the A361 for Chipping Norton. However, a couple of miles out of Burford you turn right onto the B4437 signposted for Charlbury. Follow the B4437 to Charlbury and around the village until you get to the junction with the B4022, signposted left for Enstone. Following the B4022 brings you to the A44 just north of the Texaco station. Dogleg right and then left to stay on the B4022 and follow the road to the B4030 junction, where you turn right and follow the B4030 to the estate entrance.

Finally, if you are coming from the North West, then you have the choice of taking the A44 from Evesham to Chipping Norton and follow the route outlined above, you can take the A3400 from Stratford-on-Avon, which blends onto the A44 to the east of Chipping Norton, or take the M40 to Junction 11 or 10.
ACourtney

Postby Stuart » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:58 pm

ACourtney wrote:. However, I can already suggest avoiding Great Tew to the North of the airfield as they are holding the Cornbury Park Festival there that weekend.

Heck forgot all about that, think I'm far enough away to not be disturbed. Have you seen the prices :o http://www.cornburyfestival.com/tickets/
Stuart

Postby ACourtney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Well I've just about recovered from yesterday. We usually get good weather for the open day, but I think that occasionally it can be too good and it certainly got quite hot yesterday.

We had slightly fewer cars turn up than in previous years and that wasn't just down to the weather, though I see on Facebook that Geoff Butcher turned back when his Gold coupe started play up in the heat.
Our esteemed Club Secretary turned up in his MG TF as his Cortez had run out of brakes after the trip to the Le Mans Classic. Was somebody being too heavy on the centre pedal?

This year we had nine cars in the line up this year and plenty of Midas owners there using other modes of transport - Stuart turned up on his mountain bike.

ImageOpen day 2018 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

We all tucked in to the barbecue. I've had one or two enquiries as to the identity of the Mexican chef and whether he is available to rent out. Stephen Kennedy snapped these photos and managed to catch him sneaking in from the direction of Oxford Plastics.

ImageP1030487 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr ImageP1030488 by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

Anyway, that is the open day over for another year and the next event on the club calendar is the Stanford Hall Mini Fair on 23rd September, closely followed by the Mini Action day at Castle Combe on 29th September. More details to follow.
ACourtney

Return to Midas Owners Club meets and events