Sound Insulation

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Sound Insulation

Postby dusz » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:53 pm

Hopefully, later this year when it warms up I will start to recommission my 1986 MK2. One of the things I know has deteriorated is the sound insulation that Dermot used in the Corby factory, the type with two layers of foam sandwiching a thin layer of more solid material. It is this thin middle layer that is breaking up.
Have others removed the original insulation and if so what has it been replaced with?
Would something like Dynamat be suitable even if it is slightly heavy. Maybe even put some inside the doors.
dusz

Re: Sound Insulation

Postby johno » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:50 pm

I bought some underbonet felt from Woolies (https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/) there will be other firms but Woolies seem to have a good reputation. It might not be on your agenda, but the Classic and Restoration show at the NEC March 18,19,20th will have some retailers with material for sale. We have a Club stand as well.
johno

Re: Sound Insulation

Postby coh1952 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:25 pm

My Mark 2 has no sound insulation, and is noisier inside than outside.
I have a suspicion that the location of the exhaust mountings is critical, like the bridge on a violin.
I would very much like to know where the sound insulation was / should be fitted.
Also : when I was running Minis, a huge noise reduction was obtained by fitting insulation to the roof and door panels. (I used second hand fibre type carpet underlay).
ColinOH
coh1952

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)