Mk3 Radiator Swap

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mk3 Radiator Swap

Postby mikeeskriett » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Folks,

Due to an over active jet washer, a stone on the M25, frost and a garage who think a coolant change doesn't mean anti freeze it became time to swap the rad on the convertible so I thought i'd take some pics of the job.

First job is to remove the bonnet quick is a breeze with a quick release otherwise its two screws on one of the hinges and two on the stay remove the hinge pin and tilt the bonnet to one side and withdraw it.

Now disconnect the battery.

The next step is one that fills me with joy and that is to remove the front bumper. Firstly remove the spotlights because if you break one you'll struggle to get replacements and they make access easier later on. The bumper is held on by 5 studs two each side and one in the middle basically feel up the front edge of the inner wheel arch and you'll find a stud and the other stud on each side is at the bottom of the wheel arch where all the mud collects. If you're really lucky they'll undo, if you're lucky they'll shear and most often they will round off and stay put. If they are stuck it's time to don the brave boots and use a hack saw blade or a skill saw cut the studs this is a faff as you have to pry the bumper away from the body without damaging it. I had to cut two of mine as I obviously cheaped out and didn't fit stainless studs and nuts lesson for next time!! You should now have a car looking like this (apart from the dirt and minging oil ball engine)

Now drain the coolant now a good tip is make the bottom hose clip accesible through the spotlight hole

The next step is to remove the top hose, alternator, Dizzy cap and starter motor to create access for the rad to come out.

The next step is to undo the radiator mounting brackets which are held on with two screws on the front valance

Now finally you can remove the rad you can do this by tipping the top forward then tipping the passenger side (drivers on the continent) up to the vertical

Slide the rad across and lift it out

Transfer the fan and fan switch over to the new rad and reverse the steps above

When bleeding the system make sure the heater has no trapped air in it as it normally gathers there and away you go.

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Re: Mk3 Radiator Swap

Postby manifold » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Good stuff there Mike. Nice one.

One thing I would add is replace anything that moves with stainless. eg the bighead fasteners on the bumper and the 2 screws that hold the top brackets in. Made my job a lot better next time round when I did it.

Well worth the extra pennies and avoids making the missus blush when all the expletives come out when stuff starts shearing.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 pm

This brings back horrible memories of lying with my head under the wheel arch with a Dremel in one hand and a torch in the other, grinding off the nuts and studs! Actually they were bolts as someone had done all this before, but unlike me they didn't use brass/stainless fittings. I had to take the oil filter head off among other things before the rad would come out, but luckily for me that fan did not fit the new rad, so I now have a Pacet which is half the thickness and it will all go in and out in a trice!
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby manifold » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 pm

i have one of those pacets. a lot better and like you say, slimmer too. the metro one was a right bastard to get out. sometimes it would come out easy, sometimes a right so and so.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby mikeeskriett » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:18 pm

totally agree on the stainless worth every penny. Need to get some stainless screws for the dizzy cap as one of those has sheared in the dizzy luckily i had a spare dizzy in the shed but never the less Mrs E was exposed to the agricultural langauage from the driveway. Mental note the next house needs a garage!!

Another Midas owenership top tip every owner needs a shed with which to store your rainy day parts stash.
mikeeskriett

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 am

On my Convertible the top brackets of the rad are a sort of S-shaped and fasten to the rain gutter in front of the engine bay. So I just remove the bonnet (10 second job), undo the brackets while sitting on my knees in front of the car and lift the radiator out (provided the hoses are loose obviously). The bottom pins of the radiator just sit in rubber cups in holes in the lower grp cross beam. It's one of the easiest jobs on my car, less than 1 hour work. And I don't have to remove the front bumper. Maybe a worthy mod for your new radiator.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Nice job Mike and well explained.

Has anyone any suggestions which is the best radiator to buy and where from? I've seen Aluminium ones advertised. Which seems to be thought of as better in most circles ( I think). I've just removed a radiator today, from the LHD Mk 3 coupé, which I believe has stood outside for twelve or so years! It looks very dog eared!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby mikeeskriett » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 pm

My top 3 standard rads are:

Unipart/Llanelli Raditors - OEM for rover and generally put together right
Serck & Marston or whatever the rebrand is - As good as OEM but watch out for design tweaks
Magnetti Marelli - That was the rad I removed which has done 10 years on the car I plan to get it re-cored as it's got brass ends and was very efficient at the job

I've heard good things about Allisport rads and coolers, I'm planning to add one of their intercoolers on the rangey.

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby manifold » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 pm

keep away from the plastic valeo ones. They are crap. Had one for about 30 mins and it blew out the end seals (pressed end caps).

manifold

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

That sounds like my original one. All the fins directly behind the air intake simply disappeared!
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)