How do I close those shut lines up on my convertible

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

How do I close those shut lines up on my convertible

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:29 pm

A common problem with the Mk3 convertible is the door shut line. The problem being that it pushes out at the bottom once the door seal is fitted causing an unsightly door line. This is because, unlike the Coupe, it has no where for the glass/frame to push against at the top of the door to lever it back.

The fix for this is simple (passed on to me by Charlie Dodd), although a little unorthodox.

First you need to undo all the fixings on the door to the door frame. ie Rivets/bolts etc so that the frame is loose in the frame. Next you need to get a second hand to twist the door in at the bottom, whilst out at the top, so that it is actually over twisted to the position it will eventually sit in the door aperture. Whilst the door is in this position, you redrill new holes and refix the frame to the door. When the door closes it 'should' be a lot nicer. The theory is sound so should be fine now.

Recheck your hinge positions for door height and adjust accordingly (if necessary).

Happy to discuss

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: How do I close those shut lines up on my convertible

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:52 pm

I tried this on my Convertible, but are not yet happy with the result. I have another problem. On the window frames at the bottom are alu pieces welded that fasten to the strip that bolts to the door. But on the left door the rods are too long, pushing the lower edge out. I intend to cut them through and make them adjustable with a screw in/out mechanism. I don't know if the construction is a factory item or a mod from the previous owner.
Hans Efde

Re: How do I close those shut lines up on my convertible

Postby manifold » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:02 pm

I'd have to see some pictures.

Theres a piece of angle iron (in alloy) that bolts to the door behind the door card. This is welded to the frame via 2 little sections. Thats all I have on mine.

Changing mine now though to the new ones alistair makes. Nice albeit made of steel. Would be preferable if they were alloy.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)