Handling modifications?

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Handling modifications?

Postby Rich » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 pm

Poly bushes? Individualised rear hydrolastic? Upside down rear arms?

Who's done what and was it worth it?

Rich
;)
Rich

Re: Handling modifications?

Postby manifold » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:55 pm

I have removed the hydrogas altogether at the front as well as the back.....and, in my opinion, it has definately been worth it.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:25 am

manifold wrote:I have removed the hydrogas altogether at the front as well as the back.....and, in my opinion, it has definately been worth it.

What are you using in it's place David?
Rich

Postby manifold » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:20 am

Hi Rich,

I bought a kit off watsons rally http://www.watsonsrally.co.uk/products/products3.html, which they use for the K series and vtech conversion for minis. I retrofit it to the A series metro subframe instead. Fitted quite easily really.

Cheers,

David

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Dare I ask what the damage is for the conversions David? I looked at their site but it seems to be a secret.
Rich

Postby manifold » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi Rich,

No problem. Happy to discuss any prices of things. We need to know :).

I think I paid about £120 including postage....give or take a fiver. I think Stuart also bought some as well so he might confirm. I have a second set too, which I will be fitting on a spare subframe ready to go on the Coupe, which is still on hydrogas for the time being.

manifold

Postby Rich » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:44 pm

manifold wrote:Hi Rich,

No problem. Happy to discuss any prices of things. We need to know :).

I think I paid about £120 including postage....give or take a fiver. I think Stuart also bought some as well so he might confirm. I have a second set too, which I will be fitting on a spare subframe ready to go on the Coupe, which is still on hydrogas for the time being.

Thanks for that, are you using coilovers on the back or have you modified their Mini kit?
Rich

Postby manifold » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:47 pm

No I use the standard Midas Gold coilovers which came with the car. I think spax made them.

I prefer the coilsprings to the hydrogas which was part of the original build, although I understand some people have chosen to convert their cars to full hydrogas.

manifold

Postby Alan D. » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi Rich,

Have a look at the next TGT which is out soon. There are some pictures in this next issue, which will give you an alternative to David's excellent, "Watson's" front suspension set up! It's not necessarily a better method, just different, but with longer travel and the shock absorber loads being transmitted into the subframe, rather than the underside of the wing.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:53 pm

Looking forward to seeing that Alan! :)

manifold

Next

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)