Handling modifications?

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Handling modifications?

Postby manifold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23 am

I've also been looking into this kind of suspension system, which will use a box frame with inner suspension pickup point/top coilover mount bolted inside the existing subframe tower via the 4 bolts, so again totally reversible.

Heres something to assist the lineup inside the tower.
Attachments
titanium-top-arms-coil-over.jpg
upper arm coilover
titanium-top-arms-coil-over.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 10432 times
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby joshyboyes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:35 am

I like this idea using coil overs, would love to see some photos when you have finished!
cheers Josh
joshyboyes

Postby joshyboyes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 am

Hans Efde wrote:The pics of David's mod can be found on the old forum. Here's a link, but I don't know if it works this way:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midas_spo ... 20&dir=asc

According to Alan the turret should be extended 10mm for more adjustment. I think Rich did some milling and turned a few things around, but don't know if he was succesful.

Concerning your shock absorbers pounding the wings, several people have installed steel spreader plates to prevent the damage of the glassfibre construction. The shock absorbers are necessary to prevent the nose of the car bouncing around. Possibly your shock absorbers of the wrong type and are too tall for the Midas, so they bottom out at max. compression?

the shocks actually pulled the down and tore it out! The Hydragas is ok without them but it would be nice to springs.
Josh
joshyboyes

Postby wolfie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Interesting to read this thread as I've been looking at the MGTF subframe with the possibility of getting rid of the current hydrogas mountings and fabricating some towers to use traditional coilovers. The top arms are being scrutinised to see if I can make them adjustable for camber. Also been looking at ways of lightening the subframe and possibly integrating power steering. The rear subframe is definately going in favour of a beam with possibiliy of full adjustability. It's definately straining the brain and will probably strain the wallet even more but plan to do most of the work myself. The plan was just for an engine swap so the missus would be happy to drive it but now it's in pieces everywhere because of these various ideas!
Forgot to say I've also cut the dash out as I'm going to go for a new dash with a TVR feel. I reckon a year of work but then I think I can safely call the car a Midas Evo
wolfie

Postby Alan D. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:26 pm

wolfie wrote:Interesting to read this thread as I've been looking at the MGTF subframe with the possibility of getting rid of the current hydro gas mountings and fabricating some towers to use traditional coil overs. The top arms are being scrutinised to see if I can make them adjustable for camber. Also been looking at ways of lightening the subframe and possibly integrating power steering. The rear subframe is definitely going in favour of a beam with possibility of full adjust ability. It's definitely straining the brain and will probably strain the wallet even more but plan to do most of the work myself. The plan was just for an engine swap so the missus would be happy to drive it but now it's in pieces everywhere because of these various ideas!
Forgot to say I've also cut the dash out as I'm going to go for a new dash with a TVR feel. I reckon a year of work but then I think I can safely call the car a Midas Evo

Wolfy,
I think you must be hiding in my garage or reading my mind! Because you have the same thoughts as myself, even about getting the wife to drive the car! My intentions are to modify an A-series subframe,to try out the concept. Then try an MG TF rear subframe in the front, but moving the headlights some how! As you will see by the following pictures TF is the way to go! I'll have the first brackets cut in two to three weeks, The white pipe is a pretend coilover, but as you will see the TF top arms are just right in positioning the coilover.There is about 115mm from the top of the subframe tower to the underside of the wing box section, which should be enough to slide the coilover in! With regards to adjust ability, it is easier to modify the MG F or TF bottom arm, but do we need too! It works well enough on the MG!
Attachments
DSC_0181_edited[1].jpg
DSC_0181_edited[1].jpg (126.8 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
DSC_0180_edited[1].jpg
DSC_0180_edited[1].jpg (113.43 KiB) Viewed 10404 times
Alan D.

Postby joshyboyes » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 am

someone should design and build some coilovers that have a structural cover that is the same shape as a hydragas unit, and then you could just bolt them in!!! that would be handy!
joshyboyes

Postby joshyboyes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:26 am

joshyboyes

Postby manifold » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 pm

or you could go for the UK version:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RP1205 :)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Previous

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)