Door hinges

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Door hinges

Postby DavidL » Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just removed my driver's door to free off the hinges before they seize up completely, and decided to fit grease nipples to follow Hans' example.
I drilled and tapped a hole for th M6 nipples I have, but the threaded part of the nipple is about 5 or 6mm long, whereas the thickness of the cylinder part of the hinge is 3mm.
I ground down one nipple, only to find that if you do that, the spring inside is no longer held in place.
From what I can find out on Google, M6 grease nipples with a threded length shorter than 5mm do not exist.
Does any one know differently? Or will I have to space out the nipple with a short collar?
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Thu May 11, 2017 7:50 pm

DavidL wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just removed my driver's door to free off the hinges before they seize up completely, and decided to fit grease nipples to follow Hans' example.
I drilled and tapped a hole for th M6 nipples I have, but the threaded part of the nipple is about 5 or 6mm long, whereas the thickness of the cylinder part of the hinge is 3mm.
I ground down one nipple, only to find that if you do that, the spring inside is no longer held in place.
From what I can find out on Google, M6 grease nipples with a threded length shorter than 5mm do not exist.
Does any one know differently? Or will I have to space out the nipple with a short collar?

Have you seen the superb job Roy did on his. you can clearly see the grease nipples not screwed all the way in, a bit of thread lock perhaps?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2510&p=17697#p17697
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Stuart wrote:Have you seen the superb job Roy did on his. you can clearly see the grease nipples not screwed all the way in, a bit of thread lock perhaps?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2510&p=17697#p17697

I had seen those, but for some reason, the only recent thread I could remember which had photos of refurbished hinges were the blue ones that Hans did.
Thread lock might be the way to go.

Just to make things a bit more interesting, a previous owner had already had the doors off. He had also ground out the welds attaching all the captive setscrews to the part of the hinges which bolt to the car body, and welded the nuts to a plate on the inside of the car, then fitted the bolts from the outside. By the time I decided to take the doors off, the hinges were displaying extreme reluctance to move, and I didn't want to open the doors any more than I needed to get a spanner on the bolt heads - opening the driver's door even that much was difficult. I had visions of pulling the door open too far and taking big chunks out of the leading edge of the door aperture... :o
DavidL

Previous

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)