Door hinges

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Door hinges

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 pm

You can clearly see where the inspiration for the door hinges came from when looking at the Triumph Spitfire door hinges. I guess the same company made the Midas hinges.

The parts on the Midas hinge are assembled 180 degrees round from the Spitfire ones and the kink on the door side of the hinge is less (perhaps)on a Midas, but certainly the same pressed blank.

Perhaps another Triumph/Austin car has the exact same Midas hinge?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-607824
Attachments
spitfire door hinge.jpg
spitfire door hinge.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 19041 times
Stuart

Re: Door hinges

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm

Looks promising, although old hinges can be refurbished quite easily. Have you contacted them to ask about parts for Midas? There is nothing in their database about Midas
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:25 pm

I haven't, I imagine sales volume wouldn't warrant a seperate category, and we'd need to compile a list of parts.
I know there are lists of donor parts used in a Midas dotted about here and there on this forum and the internet, but I can't always remember where they are.
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 pm

The Midas door hinges were a special part, not from a donor. You had to buy them from Midas directly. Which makes this very interesting, because if they were the producer of the Midas hinges one day we could consider a group buy. Or maybe they make them on order, so anyone who needs hinges could just order them.
Hans Efde

Postby tog0035 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Hello all.As I stated in my Door bell intoduction my first job is to fix my worn top door hinge on drivers side. I would appreciate any advice or instruction. Kind regards TOG.
tog0035

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 pm

I removed the old pin and installed 8mm allen key bolts. These have only thread at the end, the shaft is exactly 8mm diam. With a bit of fiddling (and grinding) I got them in. If they become slack again, it's just a matter of tightening the nut.
Hans Efde

Postby tog0035 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Hello Hans. Tanks for prompt Reply .Your hinges are different to mine but I get the idea. Regards Tog.
tog0035

Postby DavidL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Hans Efde wrote:I removed the old pin and installed 8mm allen key bolts. These have only thread at the end, the shaft is exactly 8mm diam. With a bit of fiddling (and grinding) I got them in. If they become slack again, it's just a matter of tightening the nut.

One thing that might be worth doing, which may possibly extend the life of those hinges, is to see if it's possible to ensure that the bolt does not move relative to the "outer" part of the hinge, so that movement, and hence wear, only takes place between the shank of the bolt and the long tube - which is likely to be better supplied by grease from the nipple anyway. Maybe by making the nut captive? Either that or welding or brazing a lock washer/tang to the bolt head?
DavidL

Postby kelvink » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 am

I really like this hinge of yours Hans. Might look into it on mine though I think my hinges are OK even after many many years of use.

If I'd do anything to change this solution I'd maybe fit a washer between the 'outer' and 'inner' hinge sections, but to be honest I don't think I'd bother unless there was significant wear at these points.
kelvink

Postby Rich » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Glad I found this thread, I'm stripping mine down for painting and the top hinge on the drivers side has lateral play in it.
Rich

Next

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)