Lowering the front of a Midas gold

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Lowering the front of a Midas gold

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 pm

How do I lower the front of a gold do I just let some gas out or do I need to do a little more to do a proper job
b1zbaz

Re: Lowering the front of a Midas gold

Postby manifold » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Baz.

Yes you can lower it by letting some of the hydrogas liquid out. Don't let out too much though unless you have a hydrogas pump to hand. Do a bit at a time and let it settle. You probably won't need to let as much out as you think. Take it for a drive etc.

Remember though that when you do that you also alter the suspension geometry and the amount of travel....which will result in a harsher ride.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi David mine have got 400 psi in I think what pressure do you reccomend it's probably got 3 inches between arch and top of the tire which looks a bit daft to me
b1zbaz

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:20 pm

How long does it take to settle
b1zbaz

Postby manifold » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 pm

I would check with Alistair on the pressure.

I seem to remember the ride height dimension should be 12 1/4" +/- 1/8"

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 am

b1zbaz wrote:Hi David mine have got 400 psi in I think what pressure do you recommend it's probably got 3 inches between arch and top of the tire which looks a bit daft to me

Mine had about 2 fingers height between the tyre and the arch. I would say about an inch. You can release a bit of the green fluid and then bounce the car. As David said take it slowly, perhaps drive it around and then recheck. When you're done you will need to readjust the headlights!
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:30 am

Ahh yes, I forgot about the headlights. As Hans says, yes you will need to adjust them too!

manifold

Postby wolfie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

I promise that 1 day I will sort the tower conversion I'm doing so that coilovers can be put on the front. I want to design them so everyone can retrofit them easily
wolfie

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm

I love this car can't get myself out of it best thing I ever did was stick at it and get it on the road all the help everybody has given me I sourcing parts and technical problems are much appreciated if I did not have work tomoz I seriously think I would drive it all night if anybody is struggling with a project stick at it as its worth every drop of blood bead of sweat and sob of tears
b1zbaz

Postby Moneypit » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 am

Mine was right down on the 'bump' stops when I got it.Previous owner thought it looked more sporty. Local garage loaned me the use of his old pump for the price of a beer which does make life a lot easier. I wouldn't worry too much about the pressure, go more on ride height. I've got 2.5 fingers(1.5 inch) between tyre and arch though it does seem to have pronounced negative camber at that.I drive mine almost every day and must admit I sort of miss it when I can't.

Wolfie, the tower conversion would be great.My hydro units seem fine at the mo but rather rare an expensive beasts to replace these days.
Moneypit

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)