Rod change to gearbox interface

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rod change to gearbox interface

Postby DavidL » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 pm

...for the want of a better title.

My gearchange was very loose and sloppy, but I've found out why, although I still need some info...

I found that
(a) the alloy cup which the gear lever's ball sits in (which is attached by rollpins to the main moving rod to the gearbox, and to a short tail going into the back of the alloy case) had become a loose fit on the long rod,
(b) the long (moving) rod had worn both itself and the bush it passes through at the front of the alloy case until there was about 2 to 3mm of slop, up, down, left, and right,
(c) the bolt which joins the forked end of the fixed rod to the gearbox is a very loose fit (in the tail of the gearbox). The bolt itself isn't worn enough to account for this.

(a) and (b) are problems I have managed to cure using new or newer parts, but (c) remains. I can't remember how this goes together - I presume there should be a rubber bush mounted in the gearbox hole which the bolt is a close fit in, but the last time I took one of these apart was about 20 years ago.

Can anyone remind me?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I suppose this section is meant more for answers than questions - please can someone move it if that's the case!
DavidL

Re: Rod change to gearbox interface

Postby DavidL » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Update - it needs a bush, part number 13H7286, now on its way to me. I can foresee hours of fun removing the old one with the engine in situ...
DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Purely because I was digging through Photobucket for images for the forum, I came across this photo.

This is what I used to change the bush on the FD housing where the rod change yolk connects - bits of it were used to remove the old bush, other bits were used to draw the new one into position.

That's the old bush below the two long bolts, it was definitely overdue for replacement!

(No hammers were involved)

DavidL

Postby Alan D. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Ah! he must have been an electrician!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Alan D. wrote:

Alan

Napier College of Science and Technology, Electrical and Electronic Engineering HND course, 1974-78... :)
DavidL

Postby Alan D. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:40 pm

David L wrote:
Alan D. wrote:

Alan

Napier College of Science and Technology, Electrical and Electronic Engineering HND course, 1974-78... :)

You been found out Sir!!

Me: 1964 apprentice Fitter and Turner, Cowan & Sheldons, Crane maker and engineers, we even built steam powered cranes! In 1969 I became a design & detail draughtsman and it has all been downhill from then!

Regards alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 am

Alan D. wrote:
David L wrote:Napier College of Science and Technology, Electrical and Electronic Engineering HND course, 1974-78... :)

You been found out Sir!!

Me: 1964 apprentice Fitter and Turner, Cowan & Sheldons, Crane maker and engineers, we even built steam powered cranes! In 1969 I became a design & detail draughtsman and it has all been downhill from then!

Regards alan

Sadly, I didn't qualify. I sometimes wish I'd followed a similar line to yours, but my "career" has been rather varied...
Children's portrait photographer, tractor driver/farm manager in Saudi Arabia, glider tug pilot, Class 1 HGV driver, computer programmer (that lasted much longer than all the others!), taxi driver, service driver for a BMW garage, computer programmer again, mobility scooter agent, is the story so far.

However, I'm thinking about quitting BMW if I can get my Class 1 (or LGV, I think they call it now) renewed, but I'm waiting for the weather to improve first!
DavidL

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)