rear beam axle

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

rear beam axle

Postby neon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 pm

im sure this has been done before

was wondering if any one had any comments on it weater its worth doing or not

my rear suspention is completly foobared , and have been thinking about under taking this conversion for a while now

any comments would be great ta

:)
neon

Re: rear beam axle

Postby Stuart » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 am

Alan has some ideas on a new subframe. But if you're talking about a 5-link solid axle then that gets complicated.

Here's a four-link solid axle http://www.flickr.com/photos/59695866@N05/page2/
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:44 am

This is the first prototype on Aitchi's Mini. Aitchi welded it up, as he needed to be able to move his Mini to another storage place, as he had no subframe. The radius arms are off my Mk1.

The beam is made from CDS tube and 3 mm mild steel plate. The idea behind using tube is that it is both light weight, strong and it has no water traps so hopefully with a good paint job it will last a very long time! It's also adjustable for both camber and toe. We have an improved design on the drawing board, with an improved method of adjustment. I also have one already made for the Mk. 3, which just needs welding up.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7276/7481 ... 5ce8a7.jpg

Alan
Alan D.

Postby lankyjames » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 am

Really like the look of that and the centre hoop would make a nice exhaust catcher for when a bobbin breaks!
lankyjames

Postby Alan D. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:23 am

lankyjames wrote:Really like the look of that and the centre hoop would make a nice exhaust catcher for when a bobbin breaks!

I think Aitchi has made the loop a little short, but I can sort that on the next one. I will shortly have the facilities for making the hoop, so it can be replaced. Jobs still to do, design brackets for exhaust mountings, make tabs for brake pipes and design a hand brake cable run with appropriate bracketing.

On the the Mk3, the exhaust will be able to pass through the subframe, rather than having to rought over the top of the subframe, that will make exhaust fitting easier. Although we will have to redesign the exhaust. There will also be a lot more space under the car, maybe we can make a bigger fuel tank!

Alan
Alan D.

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)