Porsche rear seats

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Porsche rear seats

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 am

I received a 350mb file from Ed Darwinkel with detailed pics of his rear seats. I have decreased the file size of 2 pics for upload:

More are available if wanted.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:40 am

Kind of a silly question in some respects but....

Does anyone actually use the rear seats? I only know of a handful of people who've used them for children and even then it's pretty much been a one off occasion. I've had a number of 2+2 cars and did make use of the rear seats carrying passengers but it was such a rare occurrence. The only ones that were comfortable were in my Lotus Excel, buggers to get into but once you were in they were fantastic. Very similar really to the Midas only I honestly don't think the Midas is big enough for them to work other than with small children.

kelvink

Postby lankyjames » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

I find the rear seat back really useful, not for carrying people but shopping. Only a few bags? Shove it behind the seat back and it can't escape. Anything bigger and you can fold the back down. It's actually surprising what you can fit in the back of a Midas!

Those seats look comfortable Kelvin, but as you say, with limited height in the back they are really only useful for children. What else could the space be used for? And please don't say this....
lankyjames

Postby manifold » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:05 pm

When I was using the Coupe to take both my girls to school I asked around but no one would part with their rear seats lol. Like gold dust. To be honest I realised they are a lot of a waste of time in a Midas for me other than cosmetically finishing the back of the car off and, more to the point, are adding additional unnecessary weight to carry around, causing you to burn more fuel and realise less performance. Theres enough weight in the back panel alone. Power to weight ratios and all that. I find I can carry a flat sized kitchen in the back of my Midas, including sink without them. Handy for when your doing refurbs in flats all the time. If you take the passenger seat out too you will be amazed how much you can carry. I brought back a full engine from leicester In that space. Just my 2 pence. Lol.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby lankyjames » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 pm

manifold wrote:When I was using the Coupe to take both my girls to school I asked around but no one would part with their rear seats lol. Like gold dust. To be honest I realised they are a lot of a waste of time in a Midas for me other than cosmetically finishing the back of the car off and, more to the point, are adding additional unnecessary weight to carry around, causing you to burn more fuel and realise less performance. Theres enough weight in the back panel alone. Power to weight ratios and all that. I find I can carry a flat sized kitchen in the back of my Midas, including sink without them. Handy for when your doing refurbs in flats all the time. If you take the passenger seat out too you will be amazed how much you can carry. I brought back a full engine from leicester In that space. Just my 2 pence. Lol.

Back seats for little people usually meaning children, never does sound right when you say you can 'only fit children in the back of my car'...makes sense as a school run vehicle to me!

With regards to excess weight, I do think when I come around to replacing the front seats which will force me to update the carpet, I will be removing my rear bench, along with my rear most speakers (6x9's in separate boxes that sit very comfortably behind the wheel arch and filler neck surrounds) and amp too (no longer required as the exhaust is much much quieter!).

But it leaves a large carpted flat space behind your seats....What could this possibly be filled with? All I can think of is a roll over rear cage / rear suspension cross-brace...maybe a little overkill and severly hampering carrying ability!

Also I found these as food for thought,; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221185909183? ... 1438.l2649
lankyjames

Postby manifold » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:44 pm

You kind of get used to that big open space. It grows on you. Only thing I recommend.,,but haven't fitted is a transverse anti slide plate...so that stuff in the back doesn't shoot under the seats.

My current seats weigh about 6kg each. A lot less than the 40kg each rover seats I had in before!
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Them jag ones would look Awesome
b1zbaz

Postby Luckyun » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm interested in fitting rear seats for my young boys. Does anyone have any rear seat parts that they would like to sell?
Regards
Lucien
Luckyun

Previous

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)