Door Seals / Waterproofing

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Door Seals / Waterproofing

Postby kelvink » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Doesn't really matter too much where the join is but you don't want it at the top of the door as it will leak there and you don't want it to be in a place where there's a physical contact with you getting in or out as this will accelerate the wear and tear of the seal. The factory tended to make the join along the bottom of the door on the sill but with you regularly getting in and out of the car and brushing the seal with your leg the join would open up. So my suggestion would be to make it in the front door jamb about 12" up from the sill near the top hinge.
kelvink

Postby billybob » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 am

seems a very logical place to put it to me, thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-DOO ... SwDNdVgvpz

Do you think that the door seal above is suitable? I reckon 2 metres per side would be enough.
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:53 pm

No gripwidth up to 3mm is too small. Check out this page:
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-37-side-seals.aspx

You have to measure the edge, possibly the 4mm gripwidth seal fits. But can't check on my car since I have a convertible and they have a thicker edge than the coupe. 2m per side sounds too short. Use a rope and follow the edge to determine the length.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Whilst the ones you've put a link to from ebay shouldn't be too much worse than the ones you're replacing I personally would not buy them for the reasons mentioned in the thread above.

Hans's link has some similar to the section I used but I didn't get them from Woolies (I think it was Phoenix Trim, but can't find the paperwork at the moment)
This is the section from Woolies that is nearest to the one I used
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1285-door-seal.aspx

kelvink

Postby billybob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:39 pm

good point Hans, I measured the car and it is a surprisingly thick edge, 4-5 mm at least.
Thanks for the link Kelvin, I'll take a look at pick one of them, got to sort this out with all the rain we are getting hahaha
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:10 pm

billybob wrote:good point Hans, I measured the car and it is a surprisingly thick edge, 4-5 mm at least.
Thanks for the link Kelvin, I'll take a look at pick one of them, got to sort this out with all the rain we are getting hahaha

On the convertible the edge can be over 10mm thick. Try finding a seal for that! It's a nightmare.
Hans Efde

Postby billybob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:50 pm

holy shat, 10 mm?! I really hope it is not 10 mm on mine, How did you manage to get a seal for that part? I only checked along the bottom edge (which seems to be where I am getting the trouble). I think water gets in a few places but it only comes in along the bottom edge so I am hoping that sorting the bottom seal out will be good enough to keep the seats dry.
billybob

Postby billybob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:52 pm

by the way, I also have the convertible.....
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:28 pm

billybob wrote:holy shat, 10 mm?! I really hope it is not 10 mm on mine, How did you manage to get a seal for that part? I only checked along the bottom edge (which seems to be where I am getting the trouble). I think water gets in a few places but it only comes in along the bottom edge so I am hoping that sorting the bottom seal out will be good enough to keep the seats dry.

leakage via the bottom edge is typical of the coupe. It has nothing to do with the O-seals. It is the doorcard that falls inside the seals. Rainwater runs via the window into the door.It follows the inside of the doorcard and drips onto the doorseal into the interior. You can solve that by glueing a piece of plastic on the inside of the doorcard with the lower edge below the line of the seal. Now the rainwater follows the plastic sheet and no longer the doorcard. It flows to the bottom of the door where a drainhole should be. It took me a year to find and only during a thunderstorm when I sat inside with a flashlight.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Right I found the paperweork and yes I was right it was Phoenix Trim who supplied me http://phoenixtrim.co.uk/

For a Gold Coupe you need just short of 3m per door. The profile I used was DX73 which works fine on the Coupe
kelvink

PreviousNext

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)