Door Seals / Waterproofing

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Door Seals / Waterproofing

Postby kelvink » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:01 pm

I've just read the latest postings you and Hans have made. Hans is right about water getting into the door and running off the door trim which then can make the seat squabs wet as well as the carpet along the sills. The roadster is pretty notorious for leaking and is indeed a bit of a nightmare to sort out seals for. Fortunately for me I have coupes with no sunroofs so I'm reasonably dry by comparison.
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 pm

My roadster is watertight since the beginning. The roadster has longer doorcards so leakage via the doors is no issue. The softtop is perfect as well, just a bit of drizzle at to top of the windows at speed and in a corner of the front windscreen (professionally fitted, even these guys don't get it right the first time). Parked the car stays dry.
The coupe has bigger problems, with the doors and the sunroof as well. The sunroof can cause problems because the curvature of the glass differs from the radius of the roof. On a steel car the thin roof will follow the frame, but on a Midas the roof does nothing. So the sunroof is under constant stress and the seal squeeze varies around the frame. The only way to solve this is to find a sunroof with the same curve a the Midas roof (or use lots of sealant between the frame and the roof).
Hans Efde

Postby billybob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:04 pm

All,

quick update- phoenix trims have been really helpful and are sending me some samples for the rubber door seals. I'll have a selection to see which one fits the best on my convertible and will report back the results. Some are fit for up to 6 mm edges and so there should be something suitable. All I need to know is if the trim that fits 6 mm thick edges has a suitable rubber seal part...

Fingers crossed.
billybob

Postby billybob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi All,

I really lucked out today. I went to a scrapyard in the hunt for suitable door seals for my mark 3 convertible and this should help a good many out!

So my lower half door seals were quite hard and perished- this was letting water get to the seat and floor during really heavy rain. It may come from elsewhere I guess but it was getting through the final block- the seal around the bottom edge.

Anyways... I discovered that Peugeot 406 estate (the late one) has a door seal that is IDENTICAL to the one fitted in the midas convertible. I really wish that I had paid more attention to the model of car but as soon as I saw them I knew I was on to a winner.

Even better news is that it has a grey felt lining over the interior rubber part that colour codes really well with the grey standard interior. (paid 5 squids for both too!). They were too long obviously but that doesn't matter as it can be cut to size.

I will let everyone know once it rains to see if the dribbles have stopped but I have to say I am confident on this one as the fit was perfect- they have a metal integrated grip part as well....
billybob

Postby billybob » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:03 pm

my seats are dry after the rain!! :D
billybob

Previous

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)