Watsons front suspension conversion

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Watsons front suspension conversion

Postby wolfie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Evening all. Can somebody point me in the direction of the way to fit the watsons coils on the subframe. Thanks
wolfie

Re: Watsons front suspension conversion

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 pm

wolfie wrote:Evening all. Can somebody point me in the direction of the way to fit the watsons coils on the subframe. Thanks

Here's one viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1598

I've always thought the forum has far too many sections for the limited number of traffic it gets.

my post from May 2009, given the experience that Rich and David had getting the standard set up to work

Stuart wrote:Adding a collar to the top of the tower before welding the top plate on would help. The A-series tower is shorter than the K-series one, and the Watsons kit is designed for the K-series frame.
Stuart

Postby wolfie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks stuart. Gave up on trying to find a coilover solution so going to go this route. Spent ages looking on topics....I knew there was a post somewhere
wolfie

Postby Rich » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Hans solution in the link is much nicer than the one I used. That's the way I'll do it next time.
Rich

Postby wolfie » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:34 am

maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but welding an aluminium collar to a steel subframe seems a bit risky for the type of stresses going through it. mIssus is going to use the car every day and the roads of afghanistan are better than the ones around the midlands
wolfie

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:23 am

wolfie wrote:maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but welding an aluminium collar to a steel subframe seems a bit risky for the type of stresses going through it. mIssus is going to use the car every day and the roads of afghanistan are better than the ones around the midlands

Obviously the collar is milled from steel.
Hans Efde

Postby wolfie » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:41 pm

what thickness was the steel hans? Need to start ringing around to get a few quotes
wolfie

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:37 pm

wolfie wrote:what thickness was the steel hans? Need to start ringing around to get a few quotes

Dimensions were in the previous post:
It's the Watson spring set. You have to order the set from him. The bushes can be made by any local machine shop. Mine are 40mm high, outside diam. is 108, internal diam. is 101mm, halfway up the internal diam. decreases to 95mm. I paid 70 euro for the bushes. when I got them, I just had to drill 2 12mm holes and make 2 sleeves with an angle grinder.
Hans Efde

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)