Electronic Ignition

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby wolfie » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:29 pm

another vote for megajolt here. With an AFR gauge as well you can map your engine perfectly
wolfie

Postby mikeeskriett » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:36 pm

I use the stock Rover electronic system on mine which tends to be reliable if you make sure there is some good quality thermal grease between the dizzy and the ignition pack. On the Mk3 the dizzy has been given an optimised advance curve which was a great improvement over the tired original.

So long as you treat it to a cap and arm every now and again it's great fiddle free fit and forget setup.

At some point I'd like to have a little play with a more solid state mappable system so it looks like the Megajolt is the way to go.
mikeeskriett

Postby streetsy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 am

There is another distributorless system I have seen recently, it's called "nodiz" it is about £300, it doesn't need a Ford edis unit and has Bluetooth so that you can set up using a smartphone or tablet. I haven't seen one in operation so I don't know if they are any good though.
streetsy

Postby axshack » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:12 pm

mfdriver wrote:My dizzie is a Powerspark (ebay) but you can try distributordoctor.com who advertises in Mini Cooper Register magazine
If you want to be endlessly fiddling I suspect you go for the distributor with variable settings, if you want to fit and go - then Megajolt or these two I have suggested?
good luck
Incidentally my Midas has Lumenition set up!

Interesting. Going to try one of the Powerspark systems as a starter for 10 !!
axshack

Previous

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)