registering a midas

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

registering a midas

Postby Project79 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:53 am

Hi guys and girls.
I'm totally new to this scene, I have been with minis for years now and fancy something different.
The query I have is I'm looking at buying a unfinished and un registered midas bronze (I think) and I'm unsure how to go about getting it registered whether on a age relayed plate or a Q.
Thank you in advance
Sam
Project79

Re: registering a midas

Postby kelvink » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:46 pm

There's nothing wrong with either approach you can register it either way though I suspect it will be easier for you to go the Q plate route. That's what I'd do and I'm more than happy with a Q Plate on my kits it says "I built it" I've got kits which are non Q plated and to be honest I'd actually prefer that they had a Q plate for the above reason.

Which ever route you go you will have to put it through an IVA and you will have to make some mods to the kit to facilitate the changes that have occurred since the Midas was first designed as a result of these regulatory changes. Speak to Alistair Courtney at Midas Cars he can point you in the right direction. If you liked Minis you'll love the Midas. Go for it they are great little cars
kelvink

Postby wolfie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:11 pm

I'd speak to Alistair first as there could be issues with IVA. This is an old car from way before some of the more ridiculous IVA rules
wolfie

Postby Project79 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks guys. I should be buying a already registered one now, Hopefully! I know they run mostly mini gear but I wondered what sort of radiator they run and headlamps.
Project79

Postby MrBounce » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Both the headlights and the radiator were from the Allegro on the Mk1; I am led to believe that both Triumph Toledo and Acclaim headlights fit as well. The radiator was replaced by the A-series Metro unit (both versions throughout its production) but with a bit of ingenuity other more modern (and plentiful) radiators can be made to fit.

Starting a project is great fun; be aware however that there are a huge number of potential problems that will need to be put right. There will ALWAYS be more to do than you think. For a good example, take a look at my Project Zippy rebuild thread. I bought it in 2011 expecting it to be finished within 3 years. It's still in bits! :lol:
MrBounce

Postby Project79 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:55 pm

many thanks. I look forward to getting it, its complete project just missing a couple of pieces. I'm used to a project haha :lol: I just wanted a change from a mini but wanted to stay on the scene
Project79

Postby DavidL » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 pm

MrBounce wrote:Both the headlights and the radiator were from the Allegro on the Mk1; I am led to believe that both Triumph Toledo and Acclaim headlights fit as well. The radiator was replaced by the A-series Metro unit (both versions throughout its production) but with a bit of ingenuity other more modern (and plentiful) radiators can be made to fit.

Starting a project is great fun; be aware however that there are a huge number of potential problems that will need to be put right. There will ALWAYS be more to do than you think. For a good example, take a look at my Project Zippy rebuild thread. I bought it in 2011 expecting it to be finished within 3 years. It's still in bits! :lol:

He's right, I've had mine off the road for about 3 years now, after I put it on my ramp to fix the sloppy gearchange.
Then I thought I'd change the exhaust. Then the fuel tank. Then the rear subframe, shock absorbers, front suspension, instrument panel, seats, brakes, radiator, and I'm thinking about putting bigger wheels on it now...
DavidL

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)