Pot joints

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Pot joints

Postby billybob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I have read through this subject quite a lot on the mini sites lately but here goes....

After discovering some pretty hefty oil leaks, most of it seems to be coming from the diff area. I am thinking that the gear lever linkage oil seal and also (unfortunately) the pot joint oil seals. Cheap parts to replace but quite a lot of faffing around will be needed which I will do myself.

I don't have the pot joint removal tool and I have heard it can be a bit of a pig to get these out using any old levers....I definitely don't want to damage the diff side covers and want to stay away from removing them if I can.

Does anyone have a spare tool or advice on how to make one? I was thinking to purchase a cheap large open ended spanner and grind it a little to put a taper on and then use that as a tappable wedge to pop the joints off.

I'm in the warwickshire area if anyone has one of the tools to lend :) :)
billybob

Re: Pot joints

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:43 pm

If you are talking about the u/j's, that's an easy job with 2 large screwdrivers (or tyre removers). Just make sure it's straight (not angled in relation to the diff) and use even force. It should click out without to much effort. It's only held in place with a snap ring. If the diff is leaking on the drive shaft oil seals, probably replacing the seals is not enough. There is a bush that keeps the shaft centered. If that bush is gone (easy checked by rocking the drive shaft up and down, play is mentioned in the Haynes ) you need to have a new bush installed or a new side diff plates.
Hans Efde

Postby billybob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:00 pm

oh right, didn't realise that about the bush, is it straightforward enough to take off the side covers?
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:49 pm

billybob wrote:oh right, didn't realise that about the bush, is it straightforward enough to take off the side covers?

Yes piece of cake. Just 4 or 5 bolts per side after having removed the drive shafts. Ofcourse drain the engine oil or keep a tray under it for oil seepage.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Not forgetting the shims, and that little spring and ball bearing.

Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:45 pm

ah yes, forgot those. good remark Stuart. Lots of cursing when these jump out on the garage floor.
Hans Efde

Postby billybob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:29 pm

great tips, thanks guys
billybob

Postby billybob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:57 pm

so i used a big spanner, ground down and chopped in half, both joints came off easily :)

I've put all the new seals in and started to get it all back together, having a bit of trouble getting the top joints back through the upper suspension arm hole though, is there a trick to this?

I think I need to get a jack under the upper arm somehow to force it back up and then ease the hub assembly in before removing the jack, but there is not a lot of room in there!

Any tips on this part much appreciated, I want to get it all back together so I can run it and see if the leaks have stopped or at least reduced.
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:19 am

Yes I recall using a jack under the hub and a lengthy piece of wood getting the topjoint in again.
Hans Efde

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)