Make a Locking TR7 petrol cap (140mm)

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Make a Locking TR7 petrol cap (140mm)

Postby skip_rat » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:14 pm

I didn't like the aston cap that came with my Mk2 Midas so I decided to go back to the TR7 type. The problem I found was that these are now hard to find and that locking caps only seem to be available in the later 90mm size.

I bought a secondhand early TR7 cap from eBay for £5, when it arrived the retaining mechanism is wrong for the mini fuel neck, plus the seal was perished. I then bought a new old stock 2 lug metro fuel cap for £2 again from eBay (there are 3 lug types so beware).

First step was to remove the internal retaining mechanism from the TR7 cap (little cross-head screws), then using a dremel with a suitable bit grind away the plastic reinforcement until it was flush to the diameter of the metro cap. A 16mm hole was also drilled in the centre for the lock:

Next stage was to unclip the cover from the metro cap and then grind any lips flush, again with the dremel:

The Metro cap was then stuck to the TR7 cap cover using Tiger Seal. Any PU adhesive will do as it is unaffected by fuel (and is really strong). I made sure not to block up the breather or gum up the lock:

I gave it a day or so to dry and then fitted it to the car, I'm happy with the result and it cost less than £10 to do. :D

skip_rat

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)