Making polyurethane bushes

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Making polyurethane bushes

Postby Rich » Fri May 01, 2009 11:41 pm

I was going to hide this in my rebuild thread but thought it might be more relevant here.

Anyone who's following my ramblings will know that my quick 'fix it up and get it on the road' has turned me into the local factors best customer so when it became clear that I would need new suspension bushes I decided to make my own on the lathe to save a few pennies. The first problem was finding the polyurethane, this stuff ain't cheap and a 38mm bar costs £1 per cm and comes in a minimum length of 30cm, so before I've started I'm already down £30. The two middle anti-roll bushes are mouldings so I've had to buy them too...... another £30 gone, suddenly the £100-ish charged for a full set on Ebay doesn't seem quite so heavy.

Ok, so here's the raw materials, 90 shore Polyurethane bar, and stainless bar to make the liners from. I am limited in what I can buy locally, so the larger bar is mild steel unfortunately. The poly bar looks frosted because it is, it's been in the freezer in the hope of making it easier to cut.

After centring the poly bar I started machining it down to the right diameter, the first thing you notice is that polyurethane is a complete bitch to machine. The key word is resilience, if you haven't got your tool centred properly and very sharp the plastic just pushes it's way under the tool and you get a horrible finish.

When you get cutting you find that you are actually peeling back a sheet of poly rather than cutting a line of swarf.

After a fair bit of swearing, this is the result, a blank bush.

Did I mention this stuff doesn't machine well? That includes drilling, holding it in a three jaw chuck results in a triangular hole in the bush. To get round this I made up a holder for the bush from nylon, this one is double ended so I can hold a inner arm bush with one end and a anti-roll bar bush in the other.

You have to feed the drill through the bush veeeeeeeery slowly otherwise it snatches and rides up the bit, it's actually quicker to drill steel.

Making the liners is just standard turning with lots of centre drilling to keep the hole square.

The inner arm liner has a 14mm bore which is fine as I have a 14mm bit, the anti-roll bar liner is 16mm and has to be bored out as I can't find a bit in that diameter.

The results!

The bushes aren't the shiny items you would buy as they aren't moulded and the internal bubbles inherent in the material are exposed by the cutting.

Bushes and liners pressed into the suspension arm.

I'm pleased with the results, but even more glad that it's all over, this stuff isn't fun to work with and I've probably saved myself £20 over retail and lost an entire day in the process. On reflection the seemingly expensive kits aren't a bad solution if you want a poly bush kit on your car.

Rich
;)
Rich

Re: Making polyurethane bushes

Postby rocketron » Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 am

A few years ago I could get lots of "industrial plastic" off cuts, very similar to poly, from work. This was reasonably machinable but in the main was a real sod and an absolute time waster. I'm fairly certain commercially made poly bushes are cast, hence their low cost. They don't appear to have machining marks on them. I used to make phosphor-bronze bushes for vintage Rileys and Bentleys, and was much easier than poly.
Last year I completely re-bushed a Discovery, front and rear radius arms, shocks, panhard rods, anti roll bars, the lot. Used lots of grease, a good big vice and some basic verbal persuasions; piece of cake. No matter how brutal you are, you can't damage them. The resulting ride was greatly improved but was "harsher" (Granny won't like it!)
I got them from Flo-Flex at Rhyl, and were very cheap ( the big bushes, about 60mm dia x 75mm long and about £6 ea! Why bother elsewhere?). I think they were about half the price of original L-R bushes from the comics.
Lik you,I won't bother with self-made again, although a good excercise at the time.

Regards, Ron
rocketron

Postby Rich » Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Ron,

You are right, the commercial bushes are moulded which obviously makes sense once you have invested in the tooling to do it that way. I've had another go today because I wasn't entirely happy with one of the ARB bushes, I'm getting a better cut by using the point of the tool and also drilling with the final size drill without even a pilot has given much better results. Luckily my lathe has a lever attachment for the tailstock and just using fingertip pressure to nudge the drill along has resulted in clean holes.

I'm now waiting for the ARB clamp bushes to arrive, they have a two week lead time as they are made to order but at least I can start to rebuild the subframe now. If I'm not careful the car might be finished this year.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Tue May 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks for your input Rich. It was an interesting read.

Its great when people spend time and contribute for the benefit for everyone to see.

Kind regards,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi David,

You are welcome, the good news is that as I experimented with the tooling angles the finish on the bushes improved. I also managed to find poly bump stops for above and below the top arm on the Mini Menders stall at Stoneleigh, I'm holding onto the rubber parts for now in case it all gets too harsh.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 pm

oh i missed the poly bump stops. I've been after some for a while too. I've got the bottom ones though. Its the cone ones I'm missing.

Got my other bits a pieces there though, like some anderson connectors to make a built in jump pack connector for the starter (just in case).

Fits on the offside inner wing so that I can still jump start the car in the usual place (because my battery is now in the boot). If anyones interested will pop some pics up once its fitted.

Cheers,

David

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Tue May 05, 2009 10:09 pm

manifold wrote:oh i missed the poly bump stops. I've been after some for a while too. I've got the bottom ones though. Its the cone ones I'm missing.

Got my other bits a pieces there though, like some anderson connectors to make a built in jump pack connector for the starter (just in case).

Fits on the offside inner wing so that I can still jump start the car in the usual place (because my battery is now in the boot). If anyones interested will pop some pics up once its fitted.

Cheers,

David

Now's probably not a good time to tell you they were only £2.75 each is it........?

The good news is that they aren't all that far from you. http://www.minimenders.co.uk/

I would be interested in the relocation of your battery to the back, It's something I considered doing but put off for once the car is on the road. Was there a KAD 16v head lurking under the bonnet of the car you had at Stoneleigh?

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Tue May 05, 2009 11:13 pm

yes they aren't too far away. might pop in next time im picking up some IT hardware at Dabs or Scan!

No unfortunately there was no KAD or 7 port lurking on this engine. I did have megajolt and a 1380cc in there though, running on a 4 speed straight cut box with straight cut transfers, ultra light flywheel and backplate etc. It was a pleasure driving down and home again on sunday and was pulling well, even for a 5 port. Megajolt is such a great little piece of kit and transforms the feel of the engine.

About 3 weeks ago I attempted to fit the 7 port. Sadly I had a few issues with the head sending water into the engine in cylinder 4, so I have sent it back to minisport to check over so I've not had a chance to check that out yet as I had hoped. For the few minutes I had it running though it sounded rather nice. I did give it a good go trying to get it to run, going through 3 gaskets so there is a problem. Fitted the 5 port head back on without issues, albeit I had to change the oil and water with all the mayonnaise floating about.

All the cabling and plumbing is in place so its only going to be an hours job once its sorted out.

I used the Powervamp battery with a battery bracket in the back, similar to the DMS redtop. Great because they are a fibreglass filled gel battery meaning you can mount them in almost any position except vertical and they are a lot smaller than normal batteries. The one I used is the PVR30 (also known as the Odyssey Extreme 30), most famously used for firing up Harrier Jump Jets due to their great reliability and torque. It fits great next to the spare wheel well.

manifold

Postby Rich » Wed May 06, 2009 12:02 am

Ahh, I'd assumed there was something bigger under there with all the work you'd done on the bonnet.

Straight cut? Do you wear hearing defenders when you drive it? :D The Megajolt system is the only gucci gear on mine. I've got it all soldered up, just need to mount the pickup before I put the engine back in, though I think I may get it through the MOT on the dizzy and then concentrating on getting it sorted. I'll try and get the settings close(ish) before taking it to the local rolling road at Tipton St John, apparently the owners have quite a reputation with A series tuning.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Wed May 06, 2009 7:59 am

:) Yes the bonnet was specifically developed for front mounted fueling systems and to add additional cooling in the engine bay with hotter running engines. It certainly too a while to fabricate. 2 months worth of evenings. Not that anyone seems to realize whats involved.

Good luck with the MOT. I wish I had a RR nearby. Its handy having one. Megajolts great. You can even bluetooth it if you've got a smartphone and serial dongle.

manifold

Next

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)