Push button starter

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Push button starter

Postby manifold » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Anyone wanting to do a cheap conversion to do a push button start. Not for everyone, but for those that want to....

Its dead easy.

1. FInd a live feed when ignition is switched on (second position).

On mine I hard wired into the fuel pump live feed which is connected via a relay. So I used a piggy back spade on that.

2. Find the spade connector position on the started solenoid which is live once you turn the key to starter position on key. Use a piggy back connector spade connector. Piggy back connectors are handy as you dont have to mess all your wiring up if you want to remove it later.

Wire the two two together (1. to 2.) Run the cable up to somewhere on your dash and fit a push to connect (momentary) button between it. I bought a 19.2mm stainless anti vandal push to connect button from Maplins. Remember the connection is only momentary until engine starts, so dont have a closed circuit.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19096

or use this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19093

Job done.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Push button starter

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Interesting job David. Did you also relocate the key barrel, f.e. near the starter switch? Then it seems very handy to me. Else you're still wrestling with that key under the steering column.
Hans Efde

Re: Push button starter

Postby manifold » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:38 pm

No I didnt bother moving the key. Still want the steering lock.

Its handy to be able to switch the engine on from a different position... plus its' a backup if the key ignition part breaks.

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)