Headlamps Midas Gold

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Headlamps Midas Gold

Postby minisweden » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Hello everyone. Now I know my way around engines bodywork etc. I consider myself a fairly good mechanic. But, I cannot get the new headlamps on!!!! I admit that I am a bit embarresed to say this, but I simply can´t get the new ones on. The old headlamps was easy to press out from the engine compartment, but fitting new ones is to me a nightmare. Is there any simple solution to this? I see that the "eye-lid" on top of the headlamp is flexing a bit. Can this be removed? Thankful for any help in this matter. Never ever seen a headlight mount like this, with the three tiny clips holding the headlight unit. I am used to Minis and Rover P6:s and the way the solution looks there....... :oops:
minisweden

Re: Headlamps Midas Gold

Postby manifold » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Hello.

I guess it depends how the eyelid was fixed on. Mine are fixed with big head fasteners, although some people glue them on.

I pop the light in on 2 of the clips, mounting 2 of the 3 legs in their slots then prise the third clip on with a little lever (small screwdriver etc), with a little gentle persuasion!

Hope that helps.

Sometimes its easier to undo the whole bracket of the 3 mounts (long bolts), slide it out fix in position and put back.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby minisweden » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks David! Just managed to get one lamp in place, the other one is giving me a headache, an absolute pig to fit.... I´d rather change the headgasket than this...a simple headlamp change. Still I guess I´ll have to smile and carry on, since I do love the Midas :D
minisweden

Postby manifold » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 pm

:) Yes they're great aren't they!

I particularly like the Mk3's even with their idiosyncrasies.

If you get a chance to make the eyelids removable it will make it easier in future. Depends on how they were fixed on.

I forgot to mention, you can unclip the spring clip from the back and move it into position, then clip it over the plastic back edge....like a hinge.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby minisweden » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Thanks David, I´ll try that in the morning! Can´t drive with only one headlamp can I? Guess my ´brows are glued on. But they do flex a bit. Making it possible to pry them up a bit. I´ll let you know what tomorrow brings. Goodnight!
minisweden

Postby minisweden » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Well, it took me a few days before I found the time to work on the Midas again. This evening, I finally did manage to get that third clip in place. Can´t say I´m pleased with the construction of that headlamp mounting, but now it´s in place. This weekend I´ll start work on the chassi-number plate needed to get the car registered in Sweden....and then there´s the oilseal on one driveshaft...and...well. I am getting the car inspected and legal this year. I am determined to do that.
minisweden

Postby manifold » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Glad you've got it sorted.

If the headlamp is on the bracket correctly its quite a secure fit. It depends on whether you use sealed beams or the cibie halogen conversion ones. The cibie ones hold better.

Slowly but surely. ... Especially if its your day car like mine is.

Kind regards,

David

manifold

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)