Front springs on a Gold

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Front springs on a Gold

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Hoping to have a pic of it back on it's wheels today. Just from jacking it up the spring side seems to have a height of 13", it will be interesting to see how it pans out when it's back on four wheels. Even if it stays at 13" I expect it will settle, plus of course my sylph-like weight might have a bearing too......
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Sounds about right.

When I needed to 'tweak' the adjustment of the ride height on mine I just jacked the wheel up to take the pressure off, then got the spanner in. Dropped the jack and checked again. Pressed the wing down (bounced it) a few times and checked again.

Didn't seem to settle much to be honest....maybe a few mm.

I'm really happy with what I have, but I can see the sense in doing what Alan is doing too, albeit it is more involved.

I havent had any of the noted issues with punching the wing in.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:45 pm

It's already got dampers, I can't see why using springs instead of hydrolastic which both have similar levels of movement should be any different. I've got a decent set of poly bump stops in place which will stop the dampers bottoming out no matter what happens.
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I think you'll find its a better driving experience on the springs ;)....

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

manifold wrote:I think you'll find its a better driving experience on the springs ;)....

Oh yeah.......... :D What a difference! It's still firm but just without that harsh edge, it all feels a little more controlled instead of zig zagging over every bump.
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 pm

have you driven it on the road today then? sounds like it ;)

you wont be disappointed.

manifold

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes it looked a little high and knock-kneed at first but it has settled to a height that looks 'right', I'm impressed with the difference in feeling.

I've fixed the fan and all the other bits but I've still go a miss-fire when the engine is hot.
Last edited by Rich on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Brilliant.

Glad someone else has joined the dark side lol. ;)

......Just want to see some of these pics you promised ;)

Missfire could be plugs/leads when hot.

manifold

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:21 pm

manifold wrote:Brilliant.

Glad someone else has joined the dark side lol. ;)

I don't think I'll be going back to hydrolastic. I suspect my miss-fire is going to require an electric fuel pump to sort it.
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 pm

I think the harshness disappears as the springs are more balanced to the back end.

Harshness reduction was one of the surprising benefits though.....and it gives a generally more sure footed feeling on the road.

All I know is its a lot better than it used to be.

manifold

PreviousNext

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)