Front springs on a Gold

Please use this forum to detail how to do various tricky jobs on your Midas.
Your endeavours may help others following your path in the future. Tip.... Photos/Pictures speak a thousand words. Midas related FAQs are also in here.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Front springs on a Gold

Postby Rich » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Right, inspired by David fitting a Watson Mini kit to the front end of his coupé, I set about doing something similar but reversible to the front end of my convertible.

My initial shopping list consisted of a pair of Watsons springs (£65 posted), a pair of hi-lo type adjustable trumpets from Huddersfield Mini Spares (£30 posted) and a pair of Mini knuckle joints (£6 at local factors).

The first impression is that the trumpets are far too long for a Metro application, if you look at Geoff Watsons versions you'll see they are much shorter. I'm aware that David only just got the height he wanted by removing the locking nut from the threaded adjuster when using these so there's no way on Gods green earth that these are going to fit if the upper spring seat is going to be anywhere near the top of the frame.

Looking at it, rather than move these trumpets on via Ebay there is potential to turn the trumpets around and fit them inverted whilst giving the lathe some exercise at the same time.

Going back to Davids experience and the lack of adjustment available to him I decided to thin out the bolt head and locking ring on the threaded adjuster.

Because of the removal of material the locating hole in the adjuster needs a few mm extra depth.

Going back to the trumpet the chuck jaws were changed and a parallel machined into the 'thin' end of the trumpet which will allow me to chuck it the other way around when working on the 'thick' end.

That done the spring seat was cut ensuring that the spring seats snugly onto the trumpet. The trumpets are cast rather than turned so I trued them up as I went along, it probably won't change the function of the trumpets but it makes me feel better about it.

Image Image

With the spring seated the jaws were changed again and the surplus material that used to be the spring seat, machined away.

Image Image Image

This is the first of the converted trumpets compared with the standard one.

As it stands there is no loss of thread surface on the modified adjuster, obviously this creates a risk of the nose of the trumpet hitting the upper spring seat on full compression, though the near 4000lbin springs might have something to say about that! Just to cover the base though I'll probably have a hole in the upper seat to reduce the risks.

The next update could be a way off yet, spare time is limited.
Rich

Re: Front springs on a Gold

Postby manifold » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 am

its looking good rich. keep up the good work. thats the beauty of having a lathe knocking about.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:04 pm

manifold wrote:its looking good rich. keep up the good work. thats the beauty of having a lathe knocking about.

Next to the MIG it's one of the best investments I ever made, and if I can teach myself so can anyone.

Milling next.......
Rich

Postby manifold » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:30 pm

I wouldnt mind a mill too.

A sieg u2 mill with surface grinder attachment is something Im looking into right now.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Rich,

Another excellent job, there's a bit of lateral thinking gone into that project. Did you do a drawing? If you can do that you can certainly devise a subframe.

Well done!!!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Alan D. wrote:Hi Rich,

Another excellent job, there's a bit of lateral thinking gone into that project. Did you do a drawing? If you can do that you can certainly devise a subframe.

Well done!!!

Alan

Drawing? I'm not allowed sharp things like pencils. :D
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:21 pm

[
Drawing? I'm not allowed sharp things like pencils.

Pencils! you don't use pencils now! Try Google Sketch up!

Below is a rough idea for a mk 3 rear beam to replace the rear subframe.

Alan
Attachments
Subframe Radius Arm Brackets4.jpg 2.jpg
Subframe Radius Arm Brackets4.jpg 2.jpg (62.55 KiB) Viewed 9512 times
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Bit of a thread resurrection.........

Today I started pulling the front suspension apart with the intention of finally fitting springs to the car. I've ordered the steel plates that will make the upper spring seats and after much farting about I'll be welding them to the top of the tower as David has done, I can find any extra adjustment I need by putting the alloy lower mount/hi-lo through the lathe.

As per usual this has unveiled all the other jobs I need to do, the inner CV boots need replacing after 18 months on the road, the gearshift seal is knackered, the cooling fan has seized (explains why it's been painful in traffic recently) and the radiator has seen (far) better days. At the back the fuel tank has sprung a leak where it has been 'modified' to clear the subframe and displacer, bit of a shit as it was new 18 months ago... hmmmm. I might not be in the Midas at Stoneleigh at this rate. :(
Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Just by way of a small update...

I've got one side sorted with the spring in, both CV boots replaced, ball joint tightened up ( :shock: ), anti roll bar to lower arm bush replaced and all the bearings cleaned and relubed. That's been in between rain and lots of real work. The other side is pretty much stripped and the CVs rebuilt so fingers crossed tomorrow will see the beast back on it's wheels, though I'm going to have to glass in a few new stainless bolts for holding on the nosecone as the rusted ones fitted have finally given up the ghost.....
Rich

Postby manifold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 am

Good stuff RIch.

Any pictures to show us? ;)

manifold

Next

Return to How to Guides & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)