Megajolt

Ask questions on technical aspects and problems!

A different section under here for each of the models.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Megajolt

Postby streetsy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Although the Megajolt I have purchased (second hand) is going on my mk3 cabriolet which has a thread in the rebuild section I think that this may be best off here as it may be usable on all marques.

I used to have a Megajolt on my previous Midas (MK2 Q319 NYA pics on the appropriate page) and I found it to be very useful as you could have plenty of low down advance to enable good starting and then have it reducing perfectly to produce the best power curve.

This time around I have a second hand unit that was configured for TPS (throttle position sensor) load sensing, I want MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensing as the advance is then adjusted according to load not where the throttle is.

Having read up on the work involved in changing from TPS to MAP I thought I'd have a go. The transfer involves de-soldering one resistor and adding a MAP sensor two capacitors and one resistor. The resistors and capacitors are small, surface mounted items. Below are some pictures showing the unit as purchased, stripped down, the new parts (note: resistor out of square but is works and its tiny so its staying that way), the unit rebuilt with vacuum hose attachment and a picture of a capacitor on top of a penny for an idea of size.
Attachments
Mega1.jpg
Megajolt as purchased
Mega1.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
Mega open.jpg
Megajolt taken apart
Mega open.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
Mega  Cap.jpg
Size of components (1p for scale)
Mega Cap.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
streetsy

Re: Megajolt

Postby streetsy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Photos to show the board, highlighted areas showing resistor R3 removed and new components added and completed unit.
Attachments
Mega board done.jpg
Board with new components
Mega board done.jpg (87.34 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
Mega2.jpg
Rebuilt with vacuum hose fitted
Mega2.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
streetsy

Re: Megajolt

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 pm

All looks good from here, the MegaJolt was probably the best thing I ever did to my convertible.
Rich

Return to Technical and Problems