Rear seat fixings

Ask questions on technical aspects and problems!

A different section under here for each of the models.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rear seat fixings

Postby Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:39 am

Morning guys
I've started to sort the interior, the rear seats are about to be recovered and the seat bae modified it fit better, but how is it best to attach them to the car?
My seats appear to be made from large sections of ply cut to shape and padded, then just wedged into place. Pathos can't be right so I've checked the IVA manual and it dissent give a lot away,
For the backrest I intend to bolt it through the bulkhead on wing nuts for easy access but not too sure about the base?

What have you guys done?

Cheers
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Re: Rear seat fixings

Postby ACourtney » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi Justin,

I modified my back seat when my two sons were still small so that they could both sit in the back and get a good view out.

The base squab was effectively the original Metro squab glued to a piece of ply and retrimmed. It was effectively just screwed down to the floor so it was too low for the boys to see out and gave no leg room either.
I took that out and tried the two boys sitting on various boxes in the back to get the height right for them. I then made a plywood box structure that lifted the front of the squab up by about 6 inches at the front and slightly less at the back. I shortened the squab by about 4 inches, taking that off the foam and the plywood, to give them some sensible leg room. The squab was simply held in place by screwing a strip of wood to the underside of the ply. That may not sound like much, but it is probably more than in a lot of production cars - the base of the seats for my Kia are held by a couple of plastic clips.
That doesn't matter so much as it is the seat belt mountings that are important. Even if your kids are small they still need to be belted in properly with anchor bolts going through the floor and rear bulkhead panel into anchor plates. I used the same size anchor plates as for the front seats. The rear bulkhead should have a reinforced section with roven wovings ( a coarse glass weave that is very strong) for the upper anchor points. If that isn't visible it can easily be laminated on.

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Re: Rear seat fixings

Postby Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Nice one, cheers :D
From what I can see the under floor for the rear seats isn't flat and the seat is resting on a few high points, I'll cut them out first to allow the seat to sit better.
Neil kindly let me photo his car at stoneliegh for a reference for the spreader plates so I'll work on that soon,

Come to think of it I've seen cars with nothing but a couple of tiny clips holding the seats in, just doesn't seem right somehow, I know the belt takes the brunt of it but you would think a bit of bum friction on the seat would help too?
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Return to Technical and Problems