windscreen rubber

Ask questions on technical aspects and problems!

A different section under here for each of the models.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

windscreen rubber

Postby mickyb » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Can anyone give me any info on the windscreen please, is it a donor ? if so what from ? the screen itself is fine just need a new rubber,
Is it possible to get a list of the donor parts from anywhere ?
mickyb

Re: windscreen rubber

Postby streetsy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:13 pm

The Rubber seals are "universal" you can buy it in various widths usually by the metre, lots of places sell it (woolies trim, CBS, Kit Bits, Europa Spares or of course eBay) I may be mistaken but I think the screen may be Fiat 126 (For your mk2?)
streetsy

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 pm

I believe the original windscreen rubber was from the Reliant three wheeler
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby mickyb » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks lads, I was sure you would come up trumps. thanks again
mickyb

Postby ACourtney » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 am

The windscreen is FIAT 126 and the rubber seal was originally Reliant Fox (also used a FIAT 126 windscreen). The rubber seal is the same section that Reliant used on the three wheelers and the Kitten, but the windscreens on those models were all smaller, so if the seal has been cut to length for a Robin, or A Kitten, it may be too short - I learned that the hard way.

There are universal windscreen seals available from the likes of Woolies that will fit the windscreen and the Midas body. However, they do not have the extra lip of the Reliant seal. The extra lip is there to stop the glass from coming into the cockpit in an accident. Take a close look at the Gold coupe crash test photo - http://www.midascars.co.uk/page9.html - the windscreen came off, but did not enter the cockpit. All subsequent Midas models have bonded in windscreens, which is even more secure.

Unfortunately the original Reliant windscreen seal is rare as hens teeth and any you do track down is going to be at least 15 years old. I have been trying to organise a group buy for the last two, or three years, to get a new batch of the seal made. I need around a dozen owners to commit to buy the seal, but so far only eight have put their names forward. I will definitely go ahead with getting a batch made and those who commit in advance by putting down a deposit will get the seal at cost.

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Postby mickyb » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks Alistair, What a fountain of knowledge you are.
mickyb

Return to Technical and Problems