rear subframe mounts

Ask questions on technical aspects and problems!

A different section under here for each of the models.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: rear subframe mounts

Postby Jin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:40 am

Well what a barrel of laughs this has turned out to be?
With the old subframe mount removed I plonked the new "fish plate" on the outside,
Straight away I could see there would be issues with size

So I tried to gauge how much would need to be trimmed off the lower portion by feeding a bolt with a washer on the head down inside the sill with a magnet. After much faffing I got it in. This process not being helped by not actually being able to see the area in question inside the dill or touch it, hence all the photos and videos on my phone, either way the washer will not fit so I tried with no washer

Even with a cap head you can just feel the head bearing up against the inside walls of the sill so this is the maximum space I have available.

So I hacked up my fishy plate

Then spent an hour or so trying to feed it down inside the sill without success all the while not actually seeing it directly but through my phone so now thoroughly pissed off.
I had a similar issue with my Quantum and I made a captive nut plate that was fed down inside the dill by threading wire through the holes in the sills and the nuts in the plate no reaching in dislocating my wrists just dropped in. I can't use 3 nuts here because there isn't enough material catered for in the bottom hole but as a compromise I can weld 2 nuts for the upper holes and a fully welded bolt for the lower and feed the plate down as described above.

http://quantumforum.proboards.com/threa ... ry?page=14

Problem is that the car needs to be back on the road as I'm away from my welder so in the meantime I'll have to use thick washers at the top and a cap head at the bottom hole. Not ideal but better than previous
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Re: rear subframe mounts

Postby Jin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Some progress tonight.
As explained the lower bolt could only be put in as a cap head and no washer , not ideal but prior to this it wasn't even tight and the nut was half way down the thread.

Thankfully the upper 2 were OK to take my 5mm thick washers

What I've done is drop the bolts down inside the sill and gently offered up the mount and some plain serrated nuts , these are spun down the thread easily enough and tighten up fine not even needing to hold the head of the bolt as it binds down enough to torque up.
I then wound down some nylocs to ensure it all stats tight. I wish they weren't flange nuts but these were all I had with a 13mm head. 17mm is too large, I'll change them later. The whole lot got a splash of dinitrol to keep rust at bay.

Other side soon
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Previous

Return to Technical and Problems