old problem again - any ideas please?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: old problem again - any ideas please?

Postby Mtrike » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:05 pm

I know it is anti intuitive but if this is happening on hot but humid days it can be carburettor icing.
Mtrike

Postby benofbrum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:42 pm

I had a similar problem on a Reliant Kitten, in that it would splutter to a stop when ticking over for a short time. I traced the problem to an air leak in the fuel pipe between pump and tank where it kinked over the rear axle. At running speeds, the incoming air was flushed through with the fuel, but at tickover it built up in the pump chamber until the pump was full of air, then it stopped pumping.
Could the problem with the electric pump running hot be caused by: a) the pump running continuously and b) no petrol going through it to cool the pump?
benofbrum

Postby paulr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:16 pm

thanks everyone for your guidance so far - technical people at pump suppliers have also suggested that pump struggles to lift fuel and then runs hot - Hans thanks for piccie I am going to order an uprated pump and mount it lower so less lift of fuel required
paulr

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:30 am

I also have to mention my pump (I think it's a Metro turbo pump, because my car came with a turbo) continuously runs, there is a return line going back from the pressure limiter into the tank. I have the turbo tank that has a connection for the return line. Do you have the same? Because the flow will cool the pump. If there is not a continuous flow the pump may run hot.
Hans Efde

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous