gold coupe week in france - forum advice please

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: gold coupe week in france - forum advice please

Postby Rich » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:42 am

I've got a 12" square soldering mat bolted to the small heatshield, this hangs over the exhaust manifold and seems to work as I've had no vapourisation problems so far this year.
Rich

Postby DavidL » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 pm

I resorted to a remote electric fuel pump, a Facet I think, bolted to the rear subframe. I reckoned that the mechanical fuel pump was a bit too close to the LCB. It seemed to work, as I recall, although whether it actually made much difference, I can't really remember.
DavidL

Postby manifold » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Both my fuel pumps, Silver Facets, are in the boot out of harms way both from grounding and water (rust).
One will become a lift pump when I eventually get round to doing the efi.
As backup I also have tilt sensors in case of crash to stop the pump running.

I havent had any issues with vapour lock with this system.

2 things concern me about the mechanical fuel pump.

1. Its close proximity to the exhaust. Obvious problem with fires if you spring a leak there....although it doesnt stop you having issues if the pipes are not nipped up right on the carb either.

2. The failure of the diaphragm. It the diaphragm goes pop in the mechanical fuel pump it drops (or pumps!) petrol into your nice precious oil making it diluted. Kind of like an engine flush! Sometimes they go gradually so you hardly notice (at first) You can imagine the end result either way. You could even theoretically (unlikely though) have an engine fire under the pistons.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby paulr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:09 pm

[attachment=0]late summer 2011 boat and car finally got round to buying heat deflector (thanks for link) and fitting it as in photo
Attachments
late summer 2011 boat and car 022.jpg
late summer 2011 boat and car 022.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 5101 times
paulr

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous