Engine Change & DVLA

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Engine Change & DVLA

Postby issigonis59 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Has anyone had any experience of changing the engine and notifying the DVLA?

Due to the windscreen delays with the Mk4, Tony has decided to change the engine too. Swapping to the spare K series 1.4 that came (amongst a load of other stuff) with he car.

However DVLA have asked for original documentation of where the engine has come from including reciept detailing the engine number, this is something we do not have - we bought the car in 2008 and it came with a load of spares which were not itemised and / or detailed.

Has anyone had any experience or a solution to this - it is a kit car after all and therefore is made up of other car parts !

Cheers

Rachel
issigonis59

Re: Engine Change & DVLA

Postby Rich » Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm

issigonis59 wrote:Has anyone had any experience of changing the engine and notifying the DVLA?

Due to the windscreen delays with the Mk4, Tony has decided to change the engine too. Swapping to the spare K series 1.4 that came (amongst a load of other stuff) with he car.

However DVLA have asked for original documentation of where the engine has come from including reciept detailing the engine number, this is something we do not have - we bought the car in 2008 and it came with a load of spares which were not itemised and / or detailed.

Has anyone had any experience or a solution to this - it is a kit car after all and therefore is made up of other car parts !

Cheers

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Are you not also given the option of obtaining a 'professional' letter confirming the change, my understanding is that this could be done by your local garage.

Rich
Rich

Postby issigonis59 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Rich

The options are:

1. A receipt of purchase on headed paper, from a garage confirming engine size, number and fuel type for engine.
2. AA or RAC inspection report
3. Inspection report for Insurance purposes.
4. Written confirmation from Manufacturer showing the engine number and size.

Obviously if they will accept a letter from "A garage" confirming the engine detail - then we shouldn' t have a problem, but that seems to fall between the specified criteria given.

Rach
issigonis59

Postby Hans Efde » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

What a bureacracy! During the MOT of my Midas her in Holland (which it failed so it's sorned now) I asked if I had to do some paperwork when I modified my engine and got rid of the turbo. Nope the MOT man said, on your car papers it says "petrol" and "4 cylinders" , so as long as the thing under the bonnet complies with that all is fine. How sweet!
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 pm

issigonis59 wrote:Hi Rich

The options are:

1. A receipt of purchase on headed paper, from a garage confirming engine size, number and fuel type for engine.
2. AA or RAC inspection report
3. Inspection report for Insurance purposes.
4. Written confirmation from Manufacturer showing the engine number and size.

Obviously if they will accept a letter from "A garage" confirming the engine detail - then we shouldn' t have a problem, but that seems to fall between the specified criteria given.

Rach

I'd suggest option 3 would be the easiest way forwards. There was a detailed write up in Practical Classics recently on just this subject, I'll see if I've left my copy at work.

Rich
Rich

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu May 12, 2011 8:10 pm

So who is qualified to do an Inspection Report for insurance purposes? I doubt whether my insurers employ engineers or mechanics :?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby manifold » Thu May 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:So who is qualified to do an Inspection Report for insurance purposes? I doubt whether my insurers employ engineers or mechanics :?

A question I often ask too. Its pretty stupid of them to ask it really. Anyone could write it on letter headed paper.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Fri May 13, 2011 6:37 am

manifold wrote:
Geoff Butcher wrote:So who is qualified to do an Inspection Report for insurance purposes? I doubt whether my insurers employ engineers or mechanics :?

A question I often ask too. Its pretty stupid of them to ask it really. Anyone could write it on letter headed paper.

And that I believe, is the crux of the matter.
Rich

Postby davidj » Fri May 13, 2011 11:29 am

Hi All
My experience is that sooner or later you will receive a visit from your local stolen car squad. They will view the items and may well ask their history ie. invoices for written off vehicles or parts and their source. If their pedigree is good there is nothing to fear from the process. Davidj :roll:
davidj

Postby Stuart » Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

davidj wrote:Hi All
My experience is that sooner or later you will receive a visit from your local stolen car squad. They will view the items and may well ask their history ie. invoices for written off vehicles or parts and their source. If their pedigree is good there is nothing to fear from the process. Davidj :roll:

One thing that has always puzzled me on the subject of engine numbers is that surely the DVLA can check an engine number and reference that to the car it was fitted to, they can then check to see if it is recorded as stolen or scrapped or cat D/C etc or who the current registered keeper is. Or their system doesn't work that way, which I find hard to believe
Stuart

Next

Return to Miscellaneous