New rotor arm

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

New rotor arm

Postby Victorc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi,
My Midas went for an MOT last week, It managed the first 10 miles under A series power, and the rest on back of a transporter. It turned out the rotor arm was the culprit. Mr McDonald (McDonald minis, http://www.mcdonald-minis.co.uk ) was as expert as usual, but this time, waiting 2 hours past his closing time on a Saturday, and then not charging for this time!!!
Back to the issue, he recons that the later batches have this problem, the rivet that holds the metal arm on, can eventually allow the power to break through to the distributor shaft, so the power goes into the distributor, but not from there to the plugs. This is the second time this has happened to me (two different rotor arms). I fixed it myself the first time, but on the hard shoulder of the M8 in (almost) storm force winds, I was not going to take the bonnet off to poke around.
This leads me to a question, where can I get a rotor arm without the offending rivet?
I have look at the Demon-Tweeks catalogue and they have some rotor arms, are any of these suitable?
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... -rotor-arm
At £7.50 + vat, they cost more than the standard item, but they account for 66% of my breakdowns, so it would be easily worth it.

They have two types for 4 cylinder distributors
43/45 D4 and
23 D4

I tried to copy the page from the website, but this is all I get:-
" Aldon Automotive Peformance 'Red' Rotor Arm £7.50 Ex
Roll over image to zoom Enlarge
Description
The Aldon Automotive range of performance 'Red' rotor arms are excellent quality and are designed for competition ignition systems.

Developed for use with electronic ignition kits and high voltage coils, the rotor arms are available in choice of fitment depending on Lucas distributor.

• Ideal For Competition Fitments
• Designed To Be Installed With Lucas Distributors
Distributor Type
Quantity
Lead Time & Availability
Please select your specific product option from the drop down list to view stock availability.
£7.50 Ex
"

Help with this question will be appreciated.
Thanks
Victor
Victorc

Re: New rotor arm

Postby Victorc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 pm

PS, I should mention I have an electronic Distributor, it is not a standard mini /rover one, but it takes the standard clip type cap.
Thanks
Victor
Victorc

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 pm

That's why I went over to Megajolt. Constant trouble with crappy modern ignition parts.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm

how expensive is megajolt
b1zbaz

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 pm

About 200 pounds secondhand and 350 new. I have been looking at another option, the 123Ignition. It looks like a normal distributor, but it has a computer inside that can be programmed for a number of advance curves. I have no idea how it compares to the Megajolt in terms of power, reliability and fuel consumption, but I am going to find out. That said, it's around 350 euro's for a new one. So close to the Megajolt new price and I don't expect to find a second hand one, while occasionally second hand Megajolts com on Ebay.
More info here: http://www.123ignition.nl/products.php
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 am

Hans.

Unless you want the look of having a shiny dizzy I wouldn't bother with the 123. I had one and sold it on. the curves were out on mine.

I wasn't over impressed when compared to the megajolt I replaced it with...and latterly the Megasquirt. Save your pennies/euros and get the proper kit.

....right.....back to my g and t.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:53 pm

There is a 123ignition module that is programmable, but it is 450 euro's and you don't find them second hand. While a Megajolt system is 350 pounds (new) which is still too much for me. There are other marques with programmable ignition on the market, but I still have to find out if they are any good. The secondhand Megasquirts and Megajolts fetch a lot of money thanks to many people wanting one (including me). I am still trying to find something that doesn't cost more than 150 to 200 euros.
Hans Efde

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Megajolt seems to have got rather expensive! My V.3 was under £100 built up, plus about £35 for coil pack, EDIS and pickup off ebay.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby DavidL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 am

Do any of you Megasquirt gurus know if this particular ebay item - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGASQUIRT-ECU-RELAY-BOARD-standalone-engine-managment-FORD-PINTO-KIT-CAR-/330679633914?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfe0ac7fa - would suit the A-series engine?

And, if it would, would I need anything else to use it solely for electronic ignition? Fuel injection can wait for a later date!
DavidL

Postby manifold » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Ok. With this eBay item for megasquirt it will work with a series engines. You will need to source a trigger wheel (or make your own) vr sensor and bracket, ford solid state coil and an edis module, however the megasquirt can be reconfigured to fire direct to coil (ie without edis module) unlike the mega jolt which needs the edis module. In addition you will need to get the plugs to connect coil etcI have a curve to suit the a series to get you started.

This item is good as it even includes the relay board which makes it dead easy to wire in.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Next

Return to Miscellaneous