Wiring loom deterioration

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Wiring loom deterioration

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm planning a few electrical additions to my Gold, but this is bothering me. Ideally I'd replace the entire wiring loom, if I could afford the time and money to do so, and if new ready made looms are available (something I haven't yet investigated). What's happened is that the wiring has turned dark brown and matte finish, I pressume it's oxidation...

So, is there any treatment available for old wiring to make it possible for solder to "stick" again?
DavidL

Re: Wiring loom deterioration

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:25 pm

That's bugging me as well. I just read a report about someone who had restored a Mini from the ground up. He reused the old wire loom but the insulation cracked during reinstallation and the wiring short circuited. Luckily his neighbour warned him about his Mini smoking from the back, so the car was saved with minor fire damage. A Midas might look new, but the wiring could be 30 years old. Although I suppose new wire looms are produced for the old Mini's I am afraid a new Metro loom is not available.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Hmm, hadn't thought about deterioration of the insulation as well! I suppose I have that yet to come. I was wondering if the brownish matte finish was something which could be removed by some kind of chemical treatment (ie, something I could dip a bare wire into). However, I suppose that would be too easy. :roll:
DavidL

Postby Rich » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Flux should shift the oxidised surface.
Rich

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm

The flux in electronic-type solder isn't aggressive enough to get rid of that level of oxidation. Unfortunately, any flux which is aggressive enough will wick along the strands and eventually corrode through the wire. The terms 'rock' and 'hard place' come to mind... :cry:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 pm

So there's nothing for it but to either source a new Mini loom** and add extra wiring where necessary, or remake the entire loom using new wire?

Or do I make all my wiring additions using screw connections, assuming that screw-type connections would make good enough contact?

And once the wiring is oxidised like mine is, is it still performing as well as it did when new, or does the oxidation persist into all the connections and increase their resistance?

** I'm assuming that a Mini loom is the nearest thing to a Metro loom which is still available in new condition; does anyone have any other ideas?

[edit] A quick Google found this... http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4303
New loom for a MG Metro Turbo. £371.00, plus VAT!!! Really didn't want to have to pay that much...
DavidL

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

I made a complete loom from scratch for my Ginetta, and I actually quite enjoyed it!...Mind you, I don't get out much :cry:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby DavidL » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:I made a complete loom from scratch for my Ginetta, and I actually quite enjoyed it!...Mind you, I don't get out much :cry:

Good for you, that must have taken a lot of patience. Any idea how much wire it took? And how much do you reckon it cost you in wire and connectors?
DavidL

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Can't remember, but it was certainly a trivial sum relative to what professionally-made looms seem to cost. I got all the proper coloured wire from Merv Plastics, now known as Vehicle Wiring Products
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:Can't remember, but it was certainly a trivial sum relative to what professionally-made looms seem to cost. I got all the proper coloured wire from Merv Plastics, now known as Vehicle Wiring Products

Well, that's reassuring. I'm sure I've heard of Merv Plastics too, from a few years ago, so it sounds promising that they're still around, in some form.

Off to do a bit of Googling now... :)
DavidL

Next

Return to Miscellaneous