Final drive oil leak

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Final drive oil leak

Postby Mtrike » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I have an oil leak but not from where I would expect. It is coming from the speedo drive casing which seems to have a mounting point bolted to it. The oil is coming out of the bottom of the mounting. The question is where the hell is it coming from in the first case? All I can see is that underneath the mounting the ought to be an oval sealing plate on the casing itself. Second question if
You can identify the leak is whether the mounting just comes off or is it as I suspect bolted through the speedo drove casing that will come off as well?

Here's a pic to help.

Mtrike

Re: Final drive oil leak

Postby apbellamy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Behind that is a small oval disk with two bolts which holds the speedo drive pinion in, they could be loose or the gasket split. Above that is the speedo drive which could also be loose or have a split gasket.

However the most likely cause of a leak up there is the half moon seal between the engine and gearbox, behind the timing case dripping onto the top of the mount.
apbellamy

Re: Final drive oil leak

Postby Mtrike » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks. Certainly not the drive as I suspected this first.
I will need to see if there is dripping from above but it doesn't look like it so I will see if the disc is loose first. In any case it is the easier option!!
Mtrike

Return to Miscellaneous