old problem again - any ideas please?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: old problem again - any ideas please?

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:07 pm

paulr wrote:have ordered electric pump - anyone know if necessary to remove mechanical fuel pump and if yes what do you use to blank over the hole?
was wondering if once electric pump in and fuel lines no longer connected to mechanical pump if any point in removing it ?
thanks all

When I removed my mechanical pump (and replaced it with a Facet mounted next to the rear subframe), I made a plate the same shape as the flange on the mechanical pump out of 3mm thick mild steel plate and fitted it with a fuel pump gasket.
If you leave it in place, the engine will still operate the pump. I'd guess that if the diaphragm were to rupture, you could end up with an oil leak since the inlet and outlet would be open. In any case, you'd be losing the small amount of power needed to operate the pump...
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:07 am

paulr wrote:have ordered electric pump - anyone know if necessary to remove mechanical fuel pump and if yes what do you use to blank over the hole?
was wondering if once electric pump in and fuel lines no longer connected to mechanical pump if any point in removing it ?
thanks all

You can buy a standard blanking plate for it on Ebay. Much neater than keeping it in place.
Hans Efde

Postby paulr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Hans,

thankyou - ordered

Paul
paulr

Postby paulr » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:45 pm

confession - still not got round to fitting electric pump - one day soon then hopefully intermittent issue will become none issue !!
paulr

Postby paulr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 am

facet type pump eventually fitted but yesterday same old problem - very hot day - drove c 30 miles without issue but then after a minute or two of slow stop start running - engine when pulling away stuttered and died - luckily it was within yards of our destination so left car to cool and then later started as usual but on drive home repeatedly stuttered and died at roadside - all the symptoms consistent with fuel starvation - I removed outlet pipe from electric pump (which is mounted in boot) and no fuel flow with ignition on despite pump clicking away - used vacuum pump to pull through (bleed) air out from pump to outlet and then reconnected and ran fine but then when parked up on way home and went to restart same problem and same cure worked.

Electric pump hot (very ) to touch so I am wondering if the following likely causes?-

1 Pump not man enought to raise fuel from tank and when hot and parked fuel flows back into tank and pump cannot pull it back up hence car runs briefly on fuel in pipe line then runs dry - solution new facet pump with anti drain back valves and greater lift capacity?

or

2 Is there a bleed pipe for the fuel tank - did try opening filler and this seemed to make no difference but wondered if I have missed a bleed pipe and that is creating a vacuum effect preventing fuel being pulled through to pump- I did recently reroute the pump pipework to make sure all runs very smoothly

got to get this fixed - any new suggestions or guidance welcome please

ps should have added that on journey back after first hiccup we took bonnet off and drove rest of journey without it so I feel we can eliminate overtemperature under bonnet as factor
paulr

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 am

If the pump gets too hot, maybe it's possible to lower the voltage. I put a large resistance over it, but for the reason of lowering the pressure. That time I had problems with the carburettor overflowing and dumping the fuel. It's a simple pump (a la Metro turbo), it doesnt need anything soficticated like a valve you are talking about. BUT mine is mounted very low, at the same level as the tank. Your's is higher and need to pump up the fuel first. Here you see mine hanging under the bottom of the boot:
Concerning bleeding the tank, yes there should be a bleed line. On the coupe it should be connected to a small rubber hose which runs up the C-pillar and down again. On my convertible I run the hose into the boot, to a Mocal shut off valve.

So my suggestion is to mount the pump at a similar low position and if it still gets hot, lower the voltage.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:47 pm

If the pump is actually managing to spin then maybe there's a blockage somewhere in the pipes. Do you have fuel filters fitted?
kelvink

Postby Alan D. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 pm

Carb Icing
Alan D.

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Since you've had this problem with both mechanical and electric fuel pump, my next move would be to replace the ignition coil...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby streetsy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Is the tank/fuel cap vent blocked. I repaired a Moke for a friend of a friend, similar symptoms with the starvation, took that out for a run, it cut out so i opened the tank cap to check the gauge wasn't mis-reading there was a whoosing sound as air was drawn in, left the cap ajar and the car never cut out again. The mechanical pump was drawing until the vacuum pressure in the tank was too great to let any fuel out, if you stopped and left it a bit the air would leak back in slowly and the car would run. Also does the car still have the plastic insulating spacer fitted on the inlet manifold.
streetsy

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous