Megasquirt / Microsquirt users or experience?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Megasquirt / Microsquirt users or experience?

Postby Rich » Mon May 11, 2015 9:13 pm

It isn't strictly my Midas this one, but the GTM forum is slower than a slow thing and anyway, my Midas was made by GTM.....

I'm seriously considering fitting a Microsquirt V3 to the K16 in my GTM, it is the old multipoint GTi engine so is already equipped with injectors, VR sensor, lambda sensor, intake temp sensor and throttle pot. I know it will need a MAP sensor which is no real problem and I'm happy with wiring it. However I do it, it couldn't be any worse than the chopped about Rover loom on the engine at present.

It has the odd 'distributor' stuck on the end of one of the cams so I'd be looking at using an EDIS set up to replace this, primarily as I have one knocking about, though I do have a set of the later dual coils used on the later Rover cars if needs be.

The bit that has me twitching is the software, set up and tuning, give me a screwdriver any day. I have done the MegaJolt thing but the injection stuff seems to be one a different level.

Has anyone got experience of making on of these work on a car, and am I being afraid for no good reason?
Rich

Re: Megasquirt / Microsquirt users or experience?

Postby Hans Efde » Mon May 11, 2015 9:36 pm

You could go for an Emerald K6. These have an adaptor loom and mapping for the 1.8 K-series for the Lotus Elise. So probably quite easy to adapt for the 1.4 engine. There is a youtube video where they show how they switch the ECU and check the mapping on an elise. I have bought an Emerald on Ebay for my Midas but have run out of money to continue the project. They are offered occasionally on Ebay.
Hans Efde

Re: Megasquirt / Microsquirt users or experience?

Postby Rich » Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Hans Efde wrote:You could go for an Emerald K6. These have an adaptor loom and mapping for the 1.8 K-series for the Lotus Elise. So probably quite easy to adapt for the 1.4 engine. There is a youtube video where they show how they switch the ECU and check the mapping on an elise. I have bought an Emerald on Ebay for my Midas but have run out of money to continue the project. They are offered occasionally on Ebay.

Part of the attraction is getting rid of the mess of wiring that is already there, the other, which you've already mentioned is the cost of the things.
Rich

Return to Miscellaneous