Driveshaft lengths

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Driveshaft lengths

Postby bronzenut » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me the lengths of the driveshafts used in the Mk1/2 and Mk3 please?
Thanks,Brian.
bronzenut

Re: Driveshaft lengths

Postby bronzenut » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi everyone. I managed to find the lengths of the driveshafts used on the various Midas models. They are compressed length in mm for the whole driveshaft including CVs.
Mini, RH, 635mm (8.4" disc models)
Mini, LH, 560mm
Austin Metro, RH, 672mm
Austin Metro, LH, 596mm
Rover Metro, RH, 810mm
Rover Metro, LH, 597mm
You never know when this might come in usefull! Brian.
bronzenut

Postby manifold » Sat May 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Handy knowing this.

For info I measure the drive shaft lengths for A series metro and they are:

Short shaft is: 410 mm end to end (absolute)
Long shaft is: 485 mm end to end (absolute)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Victorc » Sun May 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the information, it is great when someone asks the question that I had been thinking about, and they get a good answer.
I would like to ask how the metro suspension differs from the mini. I know that there are lots of aftermarket parts for the mini that are used to modify the handling by modifying the wheel camber etc., but I do not know if any of these fit the metro suspension. With the 37mm extra length on the driveshafts, I guess that the various suspension arms are proportionately longer, and this gives the extra track width.
Am I right, or is there just a difference in the mounting of the suspension parts to the subframe, that makes the difference.

Sorry that is a bit long winded; I suppose what I am asking is how to modify the suspension on the metro based car (Gold and Convertible), I know Alan D has modified the springing at the front, but has anyone modified the camber etc, and with any success?

Victorc
Victorc

Postby Hans Efde » Sun May 24, 2009 10:06 pm

You have to contact these guys:
http://www.mgmetrocup.co.uk/index.htm
They use a modified adjustable suspension on their Metro's.
When I visited the chaps who worked on my engine (www.miniminded.nl) I was able to see under their race Mini. Also a fully adjustable suspension. I'll make a few pics next time. The Span family (father and son) are very strong in the Mini championships. They race a Mini in the modified and the classic series.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Return to Miscellaneous